Blown render- advice needed, please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my extension rendered a few of months ago (end of terrace). The person who did it had done a lot of plastering in my house with no problems but was completely useless with this job- he did the scratch coat(?) during good weather and then failed to show up the next day. When he did come to finish the job, the weather had turned and it was very frosty (he showed up at 5am) and the weather was quite bad for the next few weeks so we couldn't paint it.
unsurprisingly, a long, vertical crack appeared in the render and it is now definitely blown. A large area on the front-on one side of the patio doors- is affected but the otherside of the door is fine, as is the end wall of the extension.

So, I am wondering:
1) I cannot afford to get this job redone at the moment, and probably not for some months- will something dreadful happen to the wall in this time? what happens if blown render is left untreated? (please note, I do plan to get this fixed as soon as budget allows but the original plasterer is refusing to accept any responsibilty and I just can't do the job now).

2) would I be ok just to get the affected area redone (by someone else more competent!) and not the whole front wall?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Blown render will not get any better only worse, once the weather gets in behind it. He should have known better than to render in frosty conditions. :eek: There are a lot of people that are ok with plaster/skim, but when it comes to other types of plasterers work, as an example rendering, they bite off more than they can chew. I would remove the affected area if it is a hazzard, have it patched up for now, and have the job done properly as a whole, when you can afford it. Shame on the man for letting you down.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back