Blue bottles, wasps, earthworms and flies on your windscreens.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mrs gasbanni has just driven eighty odd miles home through mainly country side .....virtually no flies on the windscreen, a worrying trend that's been noticed throughout europe.

Bluebottles I haven't seen any for years, wasps are noticed by their absence, bees are having trouble surviving.

I've noticed that earthworms seem to be in decline, when it used to rain on a night the lawns were covered with them.....now hardly any.

Is there an ecological disaster looming ??

Sponsored Links
Loads of all of those where I live and it's still a bit early in the year for the large numbers. Wait until summer is in full swing.

Oh if you want bluebottles, just come and take our next door neighbours dog **** home. You'll soon see hundreds. :(

Loads of all of those where I live and it's still a bit early in the year for the large numbers. Wait until summer is in full swing.

Oh if you want bluebottles, just come and take our next door neighbours dog **** home. You'll soon see hundreds. :(

The lack of insects splattered on windscreens has been noticed throughout europe it's a worrying trend, you must live in a S******e area !
I haven't seen a bluebottle in literally years.

Plenty up here in the far flung Yorkshire outpost. I have just bought two, brand spanking, new cars that we have only had a couple of days and they are covered in dead stuff. Plenty of bumble bees and wasps as well. I think you need to move.

Sponsored Links
The lack of insects splattered on windscreens has been noticed throughout europe it's a worrying trend, you must live in a S******e area !
I haven't seen a bluebottle in literally years.
I do indeed, can't argue with that.

Been looking at your story and apparently it's been on the decline for some years.
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...eddon-after-dramatic-plunge-in-insect-numbers
Gotta stop using those pesticides. I use weedkiller once a year for large areas that have got out of control and now I feel a bit guilty...

Just been observing wasps flying in and out of a bird box, could be trouble ahead

Anything that kills nature kills us. Simple as that. If I eat tons of fast food my skin comes out in rashes. If I eat mostly organic food I don't get these symptoms. Trouble is the chemical companies are too powerful. They simply don't care how much destruction they are causing.

they have spoken about this on the radio several times , lack of insects / birds ect

Also they have just eradicated all rats on South Georgia Island took them 5 years , the rats were playing havoc with the nesting birds there

eggs , chicks ect

New Zealand are or have implemented a prog . to eradicate , rats, pole cats , ferrel cats ect as they have been responsible for the decline of the native flight less birds

they have spoken about this on the radio several times , lack of insects / birds ect

Also they have just eradicated all rats on South Georgia Island took them 5 years , the rats were playing havoc with the nesting birds there

eggs , chicks ect

New Zealand are or have implemented a prog . to eradicate , rats, pole cats , ferrel cats ect as they have been responsible for the decline of the native flight less birds
The problem is when humans get involved. I wouldn't be shocked to read in the future that NZ are overrun by some other creature that those eradicated rats and cats used to keep in check...
Natures cycle seems to go tits up once people are sticking their oar in.

The problem is when humans get involved. I wouldn't be shocked to read in the future that NZ are overrun by some other creature that those eradicated rats and cats used to keep in check...
Natures cycle seems to go tits up once people are sticking their oar in.

take your point . difficult call may be ???

There argument is that they are not native species of New Zealand but introduced by humans ??

same argument was used in south Georgia ??

some want to eradicate grey squirrels in the U.K ??? Zander fish that were let into rivers ?? Bloke at one fishing club told me that they had massive issues when some one freed some terapins into there ponds ??

Minks that have escaped from captivity in the U.K

Sponsored Links
Back