Blue smoke vw golf mk6 gtd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have seen blue smoke coming out of the exhaust regularly but not all the time, usually/almost always after a long drive. It comes and goes.
When it is not burning, even if the car accelerates, nothing unusual happens.
I suspect it could be either the turbo or valve stem seals.
Has anyone got any ideas or experiences?

Thanks.
09 golf gtd, mk6, 95K miles.

Sponsored Links
A worn turbo usually produces smoke all of the time, valve stem seals manifest themselves with smoke on start up.
Check the crankcase ventilation system (PCV) and look for oil in the air cleaner hoses to begin with.
What is the oil consumption in miles?
John

Thanks. I will have a look.
Not sure about oil consumption, but level has been above the max line of dip stick.
Also I have tried reducing oil level before, but did not solve the issue.

Thanks. I will have a look.
Not sure about oil consumption, but level has been above the max line of dip stick.
Also I have tried reducing oil level before, but did not solve the issue.
Important to get the level down to the maximum, and note if it keeps increasing back upwards.

Sounds like fuel getting into the oil, which reduces lubricating properties and increases risk of the engine literally "blowing" up

Sponsored Links
5% fuel dilution can cause your engine to blow. Definitley burning oil, that’s why it’s blue. Increasing oil level generally caused by worn rings/bores passing fuel into the sump and increasing the oil level. You need to get the oil level below the max mark on the dipstick. Too much oil can cause problems as well as too little.

Get your oil level down and monitor the amount of smoke, if the level increases again then you need an engine overhaul.

It's a diesel so what is your mileage like usage wise?
Failed dpf regens can cause the oil level to increase which if not monitored can lead to disaster.

Back