BMW 1 series on Ice

Sponsored Links
ive not had the pleasure of a BMW with DSC yet but in the real world i found ASC+T pretty much useless on a snow or ice covered surface as it quickly realises that cutting the power (in very crude manner by cutting air supply and thus fooling the MAF into lowering the fuel supply) doesnt correct the car in most instances. it then starts braking wheels and thats the last thing you want it to do. i always turned it off in snow and used my own mettle to control my old 540, my 325 has no such nonsense on it thankfully. ASC+T is useful in the dry or wet though and its helped me a few times. DSC may be an improvement on snow, i guess ill find out when a DSC car comes down to my price range.

most RWD cars can be difficult to drive in snow, i would suggest if he deosn't have the skills then he sells it once his lease is up and goes for a less challenging FWD car.

Sponsored Links
Excuse my ignorance but what is ASC + T, and LSD ??

No offence but you obviosuly haven't picked up the manual and I'm assuming your son has probably gone from from something like a 950cc fwd Fiesta to a powerful rwd 1 series.

Most rwd cars will be twitchy in the snow, especially a powerful one.

He will get used to the new driving bias, it just takes time. The 1 series is a very safe car Imo. Don't be put off Bmw, they make some of the finest vehicles money can buy.

Good luck :)

assuming your son has probably gone from from something like a 950cc fwd Fiesta to a powerful rwd 1 series.

Don't be put off Bmw, they make some of the finest vehicles money can buy.

Good luck :)
His last car was a new 2000cc VW Passat, and this is no slouch of a car.
I am cetainly put off BMW, my present car is a relatively new Jaguar, and it certainly does not show these undesirable characteristics, and I didn't need driving lessons to drive it safely in any conditions.

Its obvious your son and yourself are a pair of ****s, isn't it? You cannot condemn a car because you/he are unable to adapt your driving style to suit. I had a 130i, switched the traction to stage 1 (as suggested in the manual) and never had a problem. Switching the traction right off in heavy snow makes life even easier. So, as suggested originally, learn to drive it before condemning, then next time you won't look such an arse.

So a simple summary....

Misc-RTFM.gif

Its obvious your son and yourself are a pair of t**t, isn't it? You cannot condemn a car because you/he are unable to adapt your driving style to suit. I had a 130i, switched the traction to stage 1 (as suggested in the manual) and never had a problem. Switching the traction right off in heavy snow makes life even easier. So, as suggested originally, learn to drive it before condemning, then next time you won't look such an a**e.

I sign out - With childish comments such as these, the thread has lost it's usefulness.

Bit harsh guys. Rear wheel drive, plus probably fat low profile tyres do not make for particularly easy driving on snow or ice. That said, I would have thought the DSC or ASC would have been able to take care of things to a greater extent.

I think the points about learning to adapt are a bit carp really, surely one has the freedom of choice to buy a car that you both enjoy and feel safe driving.

Not harsh at all, his son has come from fwd to rwd and expects it to drive the same, it doesn't, they haven't even read the manual to understand how the traction works, so are therefore a pair of tits.

So I wonder why the Metropolitan Police choose BMW as their pursuit vehicles?

I guess the 6 weeks at Hendon needed to attain that level including the skid pan help as you do not see many of them in a ditch :D

Pete

possible a bit late now but the bmw use a wide rear tyre and combined with rear wheel drive can be a handfull to most people in the ice.

However in the correct hands it can be a very good car to drive in the ice, but looking out the side windows and knowing when to use the power to get yourself around bends etc can be very scary!

You will find tho that the rear drive car will be a better car to drive in 'normal' conditions.

Your best bet will be to get a set of snow tyres or a thinner width tyre. You will have to run a thinner rim size tho to run a thinner tyre.

To be honest tho its all down to how the driver can control the car. Some people will have no problems and others will not be able to.

Anyway, you think a BMW is bad!! Try driving a motor with over 500bhp, no traction control, and locking diffs! Now that is scary! Struggeled to move it 5 feet without spinning around in circules, Was realived to get into a bmw after.

Sponsored Links
Back