Rip Off Scumbags or Just Clueless?

B

Brigade77

There's a 78yr old retired bloke occasionally pops into my village t'pub who worked all his life on the railways & I like him. He's still full of energy & never short of a funny story, which after a lifetime on the railways there are plenty :)

He converted his detached garage to a hobby workshop when he retired & he's made some fantastic stuff which often finds it's way into village fundraising raffles etc, his brass & wood wall clocks are much sought after locally.

On my usual Sunday lunch visit he'd popped in special to catch a word with me. Seems that the (well insulated) garage had started leaking & wet spots had been appearing on the ceiling. One of his sons had a quick looksy & found a serious crack running diag down the left side brickwork, hidden by the neighbours garage externally & the insulation internally. He reckoned the whole back wall / left corner was sinking, leaning away & pulling the roofing sheets so water was getting in the fixings.

No' 1 son arranged for his 'mate wot duz a bit o'building'' to come & have a look with regards to a quote to fix it. Turns out the quote is to virtually demolish & re-build the garage at an estimate of £12-£14k depending on the ground conditions they find causing the subsidence !

Arthur ain't too keen on spending upto £14k.

I know this garage well. Me dad had me digging out those footings by hand 45+yrs ago 'cos the garage was an afterthought & we couldn't get a JCB in there (no mini diggers in them days). I know that ground is solid because I remember the blisters & my back has still not fully recovered :) Subsidence my arse, nowts moved in this area since the blitz :)

I walked into the garage yesterday & indeed, it has a diagonal crack on the left wall at the far corner, top to bottom & about 15mm wide at the top, the back wall has moved a good 5mm back & is leaning out approx 5deg. It's pulled the corrugated roof sheeting & torn at the fixings.

I spotted it almost immediately. "There's your problem Arthur, I'll get my old lads to pop round & give you a good price. Needs half your concrete floor breaking out & relaying. They can cut into the mortar on that back wall & repoint it, should just pop back into place on its own. That shouldn't cost you much more than £1.5k. Ring this chap & he'll redo the roof for you, can't say how much but mention me & he won't rob you".

Do you think that £1.5k is too much for breaking out a 10' X 10' patch of concrete + a bit of pointing?

Sponsored Links
One tube of mastic is £5. Two for deep cracks. And a couple of metal straps for good measure to see the old boy out.

Anyway, yes £1.5k is way too much considering that it will only deal with the symptom not the actual problem.

Sponsored Links
Back