BMW 3 series

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking of buying a bmw3 series 325i se Witch has a full BMW service history. The car has done 100k. Are there any know issues with this car around this mileage andwhen would the timing chain need doing?

Sponsored Links
As far as I know there's no hard fixed time for timing chain replacement.......so long as there's no rattle all should be well.
It's not a vehicle that comes my way often but check for suspension knocks, particularly from the rear - there's a good few bushes down there.
The odd car has had a sticking viscous coupled cooling fan, and leaks from the steering racks aren't unknown. Hopefully others will advise you further.
John :)

if its the e46 check the cooling system weak spots on these (expansion bottle prone to hairline cracks bowing radiators)and as said above

Sponsored Links
I can't speak for them all Dave but Ive fitted a new viscous fan to a 2002 model coupe - in line 6 cylinder......as it's not a transverse installation the viscous fan is an easy option to use.
PS at least it's not a diesel - which have the unpleasant desire to ingest the swirl flaps placed in the inlet manifold :eek:
If you've ever wanted a trashed cylinder head this is the way to go. Horrendous!
J.

I really don't know if VANOS was an issue on this motor, but at this sort of mileage I'd be wanting to budget for repairs at some time.....in this area, Beemer don't seem to be any better than other makes. VVT systems seem to rattle like hell when they are about to call it a day.

Didn't BMWs quality drop off once they found they could sell cars on the badge and people didn't care about the perceived quality?

I think they have fallen victim of many other manufacturers, buy releasing their products for sale before they were thoroughly tested - I.e making the buyer the testing guinea pig. Maybe it's the only economic way, I don't know.
For example, enormous oil consumption - same as some VWs- has been a factor in several of their engines, and Ive mentioned the swirl flaps before.
Even the M series used to spit out main bearings, not to mention a limited slip diff that sounded like a creaking door ( oil spec blamed for that one).

The reliability (or otherwise) of the car will depend on the engine type. In my opinion, the M52TU was bulletproof, mine has over 170,000 miles on it and still runs like a watch. The M54 seems to be similar, but the N52, which used Valvetronic variable valve lift did not enjoy such good reports. The M52TU ceased in 2000/2001, and the M54 was discontinued in 2006. The N52 was used from around 2004 onwards. All these engines have chain-driven camshafts. There is a school of thought which recommends chain replacement at 60,000 miles, and (certainly on the smaller N42B20 4-cyliner engine) there have been modifications to the tensioner over the years. A new tensioner is a few tens of pounds, so whenever the camshaft covers are removed, it is worth inspecting and replacing, especially if it is still the unmodified version in place.

Pointless until we know what year/model it is. Anything after the E36 is junk to me.

Astra99 is right with the engines but even the M52/M54 has it's issues, its not bulletproof by any means....good but not perfect.

Sponsored Links
Back