bmw compact steering itself all over the place

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have a bmw compact. It was poorly maintained when i brought it and have changed all the shocks, springs, disc's pads, engine mounts, front anti roll bar links and many parts linked to the engine. (all in the first week of owning) The car has been a nightmare! Now the problem is that when you drive it, the car will start to pull bad to one side. Then it will change its mind and start to pull the opposite way. Sometimes it will just drive nice and straight. It can pull really bad at times for 30mins driving or so and you end up with almost quarter of a turn on the steering wheel. Cant feel any play in the wheels when jacked up but when i un bolted the steering rack it feels a bit lumpy to push in and out. It stops in a straight line when you hit the brakes. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
If you've had all that off then you need to get the 4 wheel tracking checked

you havent changed the rack yet have you ?...................

no not changed it yet. don't want to spend any more money on the car unless i know for sure what the problem is. The other problem is that the car is now abroad so i will have to fly over with what ever part i decide needs changing as the car not coming back to the u.k.

Sponsored Links
this could be rear steer.

the rear subframe bushes could be knackered. not a nice job to replace either.

you may be right. I did look at the rear rubbers which looked cracked and a bit sorry for themselves. I was going to change them but ran out of time before i had to ship the car abroad. Is this a common problem on these bmw's? 95000 miles and i dont think it has ever had any thing changed before.

Do you suppose it was badly crashed before you bought it?

no john. I have a race car and im sponsored by a body repair and paint shop. They very kindly painted the car for me before it was shipped abroad and they gave it a good look over and confirmed it had never been crashed. It was a little rotten on the back quarters which was a bit strange for a car which has spent its whole life abroad. We decided that the rust was caused from the owners before owning a jet ski and reversing the back of the car into the sea to launch the jet ski. http://www.perkinsautomotive.co.uk/ Should give them a little plug as they helped me out :D Mines the black toyota supra if your into that sort of thing:cool:

presumably it's a Matt Black Supra?

Is that you in the pink?

gallery14.png

iirc the early compact used some of the same rear suspension as the earlier e30. the subframe bushes were very common on those but only on a car with a high mileage.

as with any rubber part on any car, mileage and general neglect will cause problems.

edit. just saw you posted the mileage as 95k. i would hazard a guess if the subframe bushes are not the main fault they may at least be a major contributory factor.

No john i was wearing a tight white bit with fish nets. :LOL: Guess you can work out where my forum name comes from tho. O and it is shinny

Is it a 1-series with run flat tyres ?

Apparently the chassis was designed to work with the run flat tyres only so if you change the wheels to another type and fit normal tyres it will handle like sh** and be unpredictable.

put it in the crusher before it kills you.

Ron Gamma said:
Is it a 1-series with run flat tyres ?

Apparently the chassis was designed to work with the run flat tyres only so if you change the wheels to another type and fit normal tyres it will handle like sh** and be unpredictable.

put it in the crusher before it kills you.

how does that work?

runflats are an option...as is everything else with bmw.

o.k new info on the bmw. Just got back from abroad and drove the car around while i was there. What the car seems to do is pull bad in which ever direction the corner goes i just went around. If when it starts to pull you turn really sharp in the opposite direction the car will start to drive straight again until you get to the next bend in the road and it will start to pull again. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Back