bmw windscreen water pump lost power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1 series 2006 118d

Has anyone ever had a problem with this. the water dribbles out and barley reaches the windscreen. it is full with screen wash and the motor seem to be working fine(well it hums as if its working.) there is nothing leaking from the connecting tubes and the rear one works correctly??

any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I expect the jets are clogged, a bristle from a wire brush is about the right size to clear them.

Peter

Ive tried that with both washers on the bonnet to no avail.(it seems funny both are blocked exactly the same though.) when i have removed the tubing the water flows out so perhaps the pressure is low but i have no way of telling. there is electrical wiring going into the washers on the bonnet. what are these for and could it be an electrical problem.

When the jets get blocked its usually because there is a lot of crud in the pipes and it immediately blocks them up again. You need to blow compressed air through the jets to thoroughly clean them out then operate the washers until the water comes through clean before reattaching the tube.

If you don't have access to an airline you can get aerosol cans of compressed air although I dont know if the pressure would be high enough. If you have high pressure mains water and can reduce the hose diameter to fit the nozzles that would probably do it although it wants doing both ways really.

Peter

Sponsored Links
The wires going to the nozzles are connected to heating elements in the nozzles to prevent icing in Winter.
As Peter recommends, a good blast with compressed air is needed through the nozzles (outside to inwards) to clear them. I guess even a bike pump with an adaptor could be used here.
John :)

Ok i've cleaned the nozzels and its not a blockage. I think it could be the water pump needs replacing as when ive taken off the tubing the water pressure is very low. its not gone completly but does anyone know if its a hard/expensive job to replace it?

I've no idea how easy it is to replace the pump on a Beemer (the pumps are usually a push fit into the bottom of the washer bottle) but maybe its the pump inlet thats blocked? Often people use washing up liquid instead of the alcohol base fluid, and there's a solid soap deposit on the bottom of the bottle.
There's also likely to be a non return valve somewhere in the washer tubing that if partly blocked could cause your problem.
John :)

i know earlier bmws had a non return valve tucked away under the bonnet insulation, as mentioned they clog up with ****e

I had the same problem with my 2001 bmw 330ci, the washers would squirt then dribble.

I pulled the pump out the tank (it just pulled out) and it had a filter on the pump which was blocked. Cleaned it and it worked fine....

Lost all the washer fluid tho....!

OK this has been a real pain in the arxxe. what i have managed to do is blow compressed air down the tubing connected to the bonnet through the motor,filter and back into the holding container. had to use a very high pressure but though it would be easier than removing panels etc to get to the water pump.

Either way this has solved the problem so i can only assume the crud at the bottom of the tank( how it got there i dont know somebodies dirty watering can used to fill it at some point i suspect) got sucked in when the water ran out.

Im just gonna leave to settle and not let the fluid run out again. can anyone suggest a easier way of getting the muck out without removing panels etc???

They all accumulate some muck over a period of time, the easiest way to get it out is to shake up the reservoir, disconnect the pipes from the jets and run the pump until empty.

Peter

right hand wheel arch liner off will get you access to the fluid reservoir. There is a filter which will be blocked as someone mentioned earlier, very common on newer E90s etc etc, would bet it's this and won't be blocked jets/knackered pump

Sponsored Links
Back