Boarding above an AGA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this in in the wrong category.

I am about to refurbish my kitchen and I have a 4 oven AGA which is in an old fireplace. The fireplace is boarded out above the AGA with something painted white. Could be wood or could be fireproof, but it has been done in sections quite badly and doesn't look very nice.

My question is - What can I use to replace this? Does it need to be fireproof and where would I get some? The space is about 6' wide by about 3' deep.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks. That could be just the stuff I'm looking for.

Have a look @ tiling board from Wickes :idea: It`s waterproof, handy size, and I`ll chuck some on the fire tonight -it looks fireproof to me :LOL: used some to replace ceiling over shower cubicle.made of cement/fiberglass.

Sponsored Links
That's a good point. I've used the stuff before. Aquapanel. smells like playdough!

fireline plasterboard is available in 6x3 sheets from tp or jewson.

Thanks for the plasterboard tip. The area is slightly larger than this. Can the boards be taped and skimmed or are there any restrictions on how it can be finished in this application?

it would be better skimmed as boards do sag under their own weight eventually and i imagine that above the aga can be a steam trap, so yes, skim the board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back