Plasterboard and Brick join ... what to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is posted in the right place but here goes ....

I've had a fair amount of work done on my property and now looking for advice on how to finish a join between plasterboard and brick at the edge of a fireplace opening.

My plan is that I will paint the inside of the fireplace with white paint and will fit a wood burner. My fireplace is quite narrow and tall with a rounded top. I really like the shape as it's a bit different. My plasterer has added board and skim on the outside up to the edge of the fireplace opening however there is now a small gap and a rough edge between the edge of the plasterboard and the interior brick.

I know I could just get the whole inside of the fireplace boarded and painted which would get rid of this problem however because it is so narrow there are very few wood burners that fit. If I board it then my wood burner definitely won't fit.

I've been hunting the web for some kind of moulding that could block the gap and not look terrible but have drawn a blank for a curve. I'm really trying to keep quite a minimal look. Anyone come across anything that might work for this?

Thanks in advance,

L
Lounge1.jpg Fire1.jpg Fire2.JPG Fire3.jpg

Sponsored Links
There is a mass of recent posts and answers about your very question:
why not look at the similar threads at the bottom of similar pages, or the search facility at the top or FWIW look at some of my back posts on this subject.

Whatever, you will need the Mfr's install dimensions for your burner and a lot of detail that a HETAS on site could answer.

Then come back here.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
For hetas plasterboard is classed as combustable. Most log burners need at least 200mm distance between combustables so not sure you can legally fit one in that gap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back