Boarding ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I’ve had to replace the ceiling in my small hallway (easier than patching loads of holes then skimming the artex) and I realised that this steel beam is actually sitting proud of the joists in a few places by a few mm.

I think that when the house was built they boarded either side then skimmed over the lintel - it was plaster over the lintel which had cracked the full length.

Using full boards I would have 1 join which I was going to tape and join but now I’m wondering if I should board upto the beam (leaving beam exposed) then double board over the beam which I can tape and join.

Is there a better way or would a couple of mm bow in the board not notice?

Thanks

Attachments

• F34AC843-B4E8-42CF-95C1-DC33A38BBA4F.jpeg
    F34AC843-B4E8-42CF-95C1-DC33A38BBA4F.jpeg
    242.6 KB · Views: 117
Sponsored Links
If it’s really just a couple of mm then you may get away with it, but otherwise either pack the joists or double board as you say. Try and avoid a join along the beam line as it’s less likely to crack. Might also want to consider proper fire protection of beam with pink fireline board, depending on what it’s holding up.

It’s not much, just sits proud by a 2 maybe 3mm but I was thinking I could put a Packer so the board has some support.

The 1200mm finishes just after the beam but nothing stopping me having 2 joins so the first board goes middle of the beam and add one either side.

Will pprobably go fire board, it’s a porch with a bedroom above

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back