Boarding garage out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at boarding the garage out to help with storage and possibly adding insulation later on.

My question is can I remove the diagonal piece of wood? So It makes it easier to lay the boarding?

Also what do people do when it comes to filling in the joists? How do you fill the small gaps?

IMG_20230212_153529.jpg

IMG_20230212_153751.jpg

Sponsored Links
Should not be any gaps , cut flooring around uprights And add timber to sister joist for continuous support.The diagonals help tie the roof timbers together , You could move the timber sitting on the ceiling timbers as the flooring will help tie that part of the roof together provided the flooring is screwed down, that type of roof ( trussed) does not lend itself to heavy storage.All the other roof timbers need to stay , there should be diagonal at the roof which brace the roof timbers.?

Should not be any gaps , cut flooring around uprights And add timber to sister joist for continuous support.The diagonals help tie the roof timbers together , You could move the timber sitting on the ceiling timbers as the flooring will help tie that part of the roof together provided the flooring is screwed down, that type of roof ( trussed) does not lend itself to heavy storage.All the other roof timbers need to stay , there should be diagonal at the roof which brace the roof timbers.?
I don't mind cutting round them just makes the job alot easier if the diagonal pieces weren't there. Yes the boards are going to be screwed down.

Add timber to sister joist?

Theres only going to be Christmas Dec's up there nothing heavy maybe the ladders.

Last edited:
“Sister timber “ just means adding a timber of same dimension alongside existing , screwed or bolted to it .

Sponsored Links
So ive almost finished this now but have a few more questions.

So do I need to cut the boarding shorter so it's not touching the wall (single skin outside wall) which we've had mould growing on? I've painted the boarding and added an anti mould additive as well. The wall I'm talking about in the picture is on the left.

A friend mentioned putting in some soffit vents would that help? In the winter my weights and bars are rusting.

IMG_20230813_175201.jpg

Improving airflow might help, but an object that gets cold [eg things made of metal] is going to get condensation on it if there's moisture in the air.

As an aside I would love to paint my workshop white, would be so much brighter but I know it would be several days of moving tons of crap, masking newly put up shelves etc etc, the painting bit would probably be the quickest bit! One day .....

Improving airflow might help, but an object that gets cold [eg things made of metal] is going to get condensation on it if there's moisture in the air.
Thing is on the front of my garage I've bunged up a 1-2" gap that runs all along the garage door, well I've left a gap in the middle to let air in and out plus we've a hole in the brick which was used for the old tumble dryer.
IMG_20230819_112526.jpg

As an aside I would love to paint my workshop white, would be so much brighter but I know it would be several days of moving tons of crap, masking newly put up shelves etc etc, the painting bit would probably be the quickest bit! One day .....
It's took me a while to get it done. It definitely brightens up the small space.

to be fair the airflow needs to exceed the moisture build up level
if it doesnt it stays damp
if it exceeds whats required it has a chance to help dry out but not gteed as its a volume times /heat/moisture/ through ventilation equation so iff its very efficient the probably overly draughty
the best compromise is full ventilation will happen over several days with a bit off hanging damp till it aires

So ive run into abit of a problem its been fine till it's got cold and I needed to get the Christmas Decks down now the boards are packed tight and I can't get some of them back down again.

Any advice? I'm thinking I need to cut the pieces shorter, which are touching the outer wall??

IMG_20231231_170849.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240123_193439.jpg
    IMG_20240123_193439.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 25
So ive run into abit of a problem its been fine till it's got cold and I needed to get the Christmas Decks down now the boards are packed tight and I can't get some of them back down again.

Any advice? I'm thinking I need to cut the pieces shorter, which are touching the outer wall??

View attachment 333556
are you saying some or all are not screwed down ??
or some are not yet fitted and screwed down

are you saying some or all are not screwed down ??
or some are not yet fitted and screwed down
Most are screwed down there's 2 sections with about 3 boards that I use to get access to store stuff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back