Boarding loft for storage ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at starting to board my loft in next month. It is to be used for storage ONLY. The joists in the loft now are 3 x 2 I was looking at going on top of the 3 x 2 joists with 2 x 1 batten so that I am over the cables going over current joists then boarding out. Is this a ok way to go about it ?

Any help much greatful

Sponsored Links
Ideally the cables should be given a distance of no less than 50mm or be mechanically protected.
You can use these safe plates as a method of mechanical protection, the idea is that you do not screw or nail throw the cables when fitting the loft boards to the joists.

Apart from that is the method reasonable to do ?

ONLY if you are sensible in what you put up there, and where.
Try and keep the stuff near the position of any central load-bearing dividing wall below; and only suitcases, decorations, kids plastic stuff - no car parts and old tvs, fridges etc.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for advice people. If I wanted to strengthen the joist abit while I have the chance is going on top of the joists with 3 x 2 and gluing screwing ok which would make 6 x 2 ?

I have the chance is going on top of the joists with 3 x 2 and gluing screwing ok which would make 6 x 2 ?

Not quite a 6x2, but if done properly it would increase the stiffness of the joists considerably.

Can anyone help on the best way, the problem I face is I cannot get full of timber up into the loft to sit onto of the existing timber. Is Laying at 90 degrees ok then can get to finish on a joist ?

Lay perpendicular(90°) to your existing joist would be the best option to raise the depth, it will add a little more rigidity to you existing joist, but that does not mean it can bear any more weight. To enhance the load-bearing qualities would require a little more engineering.

Yes, putting them across the top at right-angles would help marginally and be quicker, but the best way to strengthen them would be to screw new timbers along the tops of the existing.

Yes, putting them across the top at right-angles would help marginally and be quicker, but the best way to strengthen them would be to screw new timbers along the tops of the existing.

Only just come back on as I went on holiday. I still need to board loft. How far short can you fall with timber from ends as I do not know what length timbers I can get up there ? Also if there is a cable is it ok to stop timber before then start after so basically using separate timbers either side of cable ?

Thanks

Stop it short about 12 - 18" of the eaves.

Don't cut the timber to allow for the cables as you will then make it ineffective. Instead, notch the underside of the new timbers sufficient to bridge over the cables.

Don't cut the timber to allow for the cables as you will then make it ineffective. Instead, notch the underside of the new timbers sufficient to bridge over the cables.

Thanks for advice I have read about this way before but was unsure about it as the timbers do not go right to end. Whats the engineering about them not going to the end, is t there is less strain on the timbers at the ends than say in the middle ?

Thanks for advice I have read about this way before but was unsure about it as the timbers do not go right to end. Whats the engineering about them not going to the end, is t there is less strain on the timbers at the ends than say in the middle ?

Just thought also my loft span across is 6 meters which is about 19ft long. If I run the timber 18 inches from ends that about 16ft lengths I will need, am not sure than I will be able to navigate them into the loft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back