boarding my loft - deep insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last time I boarded a loft there was a fairly thin layer of insulation, so i secured some cross beams on top of the existing ceiling beams and then fixed the boards to those.
I had my loft re-insulated when I brought the house last year and it is over 300mm deep. The existing ceiling beams are only around 100-120mm deep so as you can imagine I cant see the existing beams and the insulation has been cross laid to make it more fun.
I assume the easiest way is for me to take the top layer off, put the new beams down, and then fill those in with the insulation before laying the boards.
Might seem a silly question to some, but I'm trying not to compromise the depth of the insulation for energy/heating reasons and just wanted to gather advice.
The loft is purely for storage, not as a living area.

Sponsored Links
I assume the easiest way is for me to take the top layer off, put the new beams down, and then fill those in with the insulation before laying the boards.
Yes, it would also be advised that when fitting timbers to raise the height, is to fit them perpendicular to the existing joist for better structural security.
Also when boarding out, start at the hatch.

Thanks.
Just my lack of vocabulary, that's what I was trying to say with "cross beams"
Any experience with those loft leg support? I did consider them but was a little worried about the weight distribution.

Never used them for a couple of reasons,one wasn't sure of there stability and the other was seemed the process would be quite time consuming.
Would be interested on others experience of these though.

Sponsored Links
At first I thought they would be less strenuous thinking they were spaced every couple of feet, but after looking into them, I think they have to be quite close together.
Il just stick to good old wood!

Yes, it would also be advised that when fitting timbers to raise the height, is to fit them perpendicular to the existing joist for better structural security.
Also when boarding out, start at the hatch.

can i ask why?

Just a guess, but I suppose if your working outward from the hatch then you always have something to kneel or stand on. Plus it may save having thin pieces of board around your hatch, as opposed having them in the eaves where there will be less weight on them.

Although my loft is L shaped and I plan to use the largest sheets possible so I will probably do a little planning for the best starting point as its going to be a jigsaw puzzle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back