Boarding new build with loftzone for light storage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

I've been planning to install some loft boarding in our new build (2011) to give us a bit of extra storage for light things like suitcases, Christmas tree, empty boxes temporarily etc.

Our joists are 35mm by 100mm high and they span 8 metres by 4.5 metres. The roof being a new build is truss style.

I was originally planning to board the entire area, but have become slightly concerned about its weight. The loftzone system is super light without the boards at least.

My original plan is below, but I'm thinking of revising it to just the central section between the supports for the roof.

Any advice on whether this is safe?

loftplan.png

IMG_20140716_090229-edited.jpg

Sponsored Links
It’ll be fine to board the lot, the trusses, despite their seemingly nimble and wobbly size are designed to cope with a couple of big fat builders hoofing it around up their during the houses construction. Just spread the suitcases and Xmas dec’s around and don’t store anything too crazy up there. Though that said I stored all manner of absurdly heavy objects in my new build loft for a decade or so without seemingly any causing any issues.

Thanks for that. I know it can take my 90kg fat butt on a single joist in the middle as I had to change an extractor fan the other day so was up there. It's just when I calculated the weight of all the loft boards, around 300kg (5kg a 320mm by 1220mm board) it freaked me out a bit.

Guessing that 3-400kg (with the beams and supports) spread over the 8-9 joists isn't actually that much. There is a dividing wall underneath where each roof support (truss?) meets the joist and I can see it's sitting on the top of some CLS studwork at those points. Guessing that adds a bit of extra strength too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back