boarding out loft in an old house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Old house, old beams and rafters in the loft space. All a bit wonky, as can be expected.

I want to put down TG boarding on the ceiling joists, to make some storage space up there. There is insulation above the ceiling and there is also rock-wool insulation between the rafters.

There are two roof vents and the CH flue goes up there too.

At the moment it seems to get very dusty up there and I wondered about boarding out the rafters with plasterboard. Should I remove the insulation (it's very loosely in place) and then board over or leave it in place. The 'floor' has 200mm rockwool.

Should I do anything special around the CH flue? Obviously I don't block the vents.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I would raise the floor level to 270mm this is the depth of insulation that is being asked for these days.
You can run new timbers perpendicular to your existing once at 400mm.
You can pack these out as required to get a good level floor.
Avoid blocking any vents and ventilation around the eaves, if this is for storage, no advantage will be gained by insulating between rafters.
And start boarding out at the loft hatch.

You can run new timbers perpendicular to your existing once at 400mm.
You can pack these out as required to get a good level floor.
If you lay them perpendicular presumably there is then no easy way of getting the first layer if insulation in, without having put in there first?

In many ways it would make sense to lay the first lot of insulation (say 100mm, 4inch), then the perpendicular additional joists, the second lot of inslulation (say 150mm 6inch) and the your floor. Hence 250mm of insluataion and floor.

However as there doing the wall as anyway and it works out a bit cheaper than buying the rolls from BnQ im getting my insluation installed under a gov grant and hence it will be installed in one go.

It all seams a bit extreme to have 6inch joists over 4inch.
Hence my plan was to get some 3*2 and lay it parallel with the existing joists, on short 3*2 spacers. Just screwing it all together with a load of big screws.

Dont know how it will go. I'll let you know next week!

Daniel

I'm due to do this soon, I think the way I am gonna go is rather than laying more joists (a lot of extra weight on the joists and expensive) I will get the 'Knauff spaceboard' from wickes and lay the t&G flooring on top of that.

Failing that I might just lay some extra insulation crossways over the top of existing and then board.

I think the former would be better so prob end up doing that.

Sponsored Links
Failing that I might just lay some extra insulation crossways over the top of existing and then board.
If theres currently going to be space left between the existing insulation and the preposed board adding some insulation to fill the small remaining gap will make some diffrence, but if the current insluation is upto the top of the joists already (you say there are small) there will be no performance increase in adding more thickness just to crush it down into the existing space, infact it will reduce performance.

I have no knowage or experience with the spaceboard, but it might well offer a god halfway house in terms cost, effort and performance.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back