Boarding over asbestos boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

I am posting his on behalf of a friend that has just bought a plot of land with an asbestos built bungalow on it. This will be demolished to make way for a block build in the near future but until this time he needs to live in the property.

The walls only have a inner 10mm asbestos board with a timber clad on the outside, so we are going to plasterboard the inner skin to add better protection

My questions are, should we use plasterboards with the foil back to keep the damp out or thermal boards to keep the heat in.

Next question is whats the best way to bound them to the asbestos board, obviousley we dont want to drill the boards to disturb the asbestos so we plan on dot and dabbing them. Some wall are painted and some have painted wall paper so not sure whats the best material to fix with.

Thanks for an advise

Sponsored Links
build a stud wall within the outer shell of the building, insert kingspan and board over, how long is temporary for him to be living there until it is demolished?

Could be up to a year,

Thats the best way that you have described but the place is a right mess internally hence boarding over to cover.

Sponsored Links
would a static caravan be a cheaper option?

That was my recommendation as well,

After closure inspection, I can confirm its in a worse condition then origanal thought :confused: The external has timber cladding on the bottom half which is rotten and asbestos board on the top so removing the external to insulate is a no no.

If we bonded boards on the inner asbestos walls would this cause issue when they come to dismolished it? I was thinking that they would need to separate the materials so this could cause issues if there bonded together.

Like john says - freestanding internal stud walls would seem the better option. Chances are that the timber or metal studwork could (partly) be salvagable for use in the new building, as could the plasterboard if it's not going to be skimmed but lightly screwed into place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back