Boarding rafters, need to worry about strength...?

sorry didnt realise you had ventilation and a window
i was going buy the temperature in my parents loft from years ago where there was no airflow at all and the summer temperature was as i say up to 60 degrees or twice the shade temperature

Sponsored Links
No problem!

Anyone know the answer to my original question, i.e. the weight of plasterboard as compared to 8mm T&G panelling...?

Thanks.

i use probably 200m off 9mm txg v groove a year lol

in my humble opinion txg is far superiour to plasterboard in the respect you can have full lengths no joins
the only problem is if you install now in the summer when it dries out the boards may shrink and disconect

having said that if you can store it in the house down stars at say 15-20 degrees and only take say 10 lengths up stairs at a time and butt up tight then you should be fine

weight wise neglegable difference

the only problem is if you install now in the summer when it dries out the boards may shrink and disconect

Summer? Doesn't feel like summer outside - you in the Southern Hemisphere...? ;)

weight wise neglegable difference
Really? I would have guessed it was a lot lighter than plasterboard. Either way, as said, loft conversions nearly always require new joists but never seem to worry about attaching heavy sheets of plasterboard direct to the rafters - I take it it's never a worry?

Thanks for the replies by the way, much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
sorry didnt make it clear lol :D :D

when its cold and damp wood expands so iff you fit wood thats expanded by say 5mm and the heat in summer dries the wood out and it shrinks if the tounge is 5mm or less it may part
so you need to install when the wood has low mousture content so it can swell into a tight joint then shrink juring the summer and become loose but still have a complete overlap

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back