Boarding the ceiling, gaps, too large?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok
Bit of DIY, tired to board the ceiling on my own.
Yep bit of a pain, got a few on ok, but one was a pain and have a smallish gap.

My question is how large a gap can I have?
Apart from not giving up the day job,should i

1) Take is board off and cut a better fitting one.
2) Use a slither of plasterboard you cut off to fill the gap
3) fill with a some sort of filler and tap over it
4) it's not too large tape it and should be fine.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
take them all off and start again only this time turn your plasterboards the other way so they are laying across the joints

steve is being cruel but well correct.

AAMOI: you could make yourself two simple staffs - lengths of wood, say, 1 1/2" x 1/2" by the exact length of the p/board and one the exact width of the board.

These will allow you to staff out (no struggling with the sheets) where your boards are going to land.
But do as steve suggested or you will probably have grief later on.

yeah, cheers, I did think that about the direction, but only after I had done it.

if running across the joists, the board should end half way across a joist, for you to screw it to?

Sponsored Links
As the lads say you have made a bit of pigs ear there !

Take them off and start again and make sure all joints fall on timber

Put noggings in as well and space the screws a bit tighter

You can buy yourself a plasterboard stand from likes of screw fix or knock up a dead man out of couple pieces of timber to prop the boards up whilst you are screwing them in place

This is the best time to get a mate in to help you a favour being called in would be ideal time right now

Good luck :D

Take them down mate turn them to the side. are you not going to put up any rockwall in the ceiling?
get a teck gun or senco screw gun easy life this way use two dead man probs to hold up the boards.
are you not using a fire rating on that steel needs painting lined have you not got regs???

You want half board joints not quarter where are you based buddy looks like you need a hand or two

Cheers for the reply.
In reply as I'm no 100 % sure on all of it
Going to take them down and start again

I had some bodgit and scarper merchants in, so now doing things DIY. Yep aiming for the regs. Downstairs steels all fine and passed, though that was just taking out a brick wall. These for the attic conversion have been more difficult to fit.

1) yes was going to put in rockwool from above
2) By dead man, do you mean upside down T's? I made 1, but 2 does sound more like the right thing
3) What is needed for the steel? Why does it need painting? I thought the red was rust proofing that wasn't needed for steel in a building. Also lining?
I led to believe that all was need was fire resistant boards between the bedroom and the attic room. Giving 30mins + escape time
4) Halfboard joints? What are those?

Thanks for all the tips, please keep them coming.

I'm in Manchester, so unfortunately a bit far from Kent

all steels iv fitted or worked on there all painted with suppliers red paint
as for fire boards they don't give you any burn time at all its the system you use on or around the steel half bond on the boards is like brick work cut half a board or as close as to the joist then run off that then start from the other side on the next row.
If you ask our building regs or steel guys they will tel you what system you can use.
Is it signal skin going up or double skin??

BG white site book say that fire board dont give you any burn time Hows that for a kick in the nuts....

are you sticking the walls and skimming the lot or drylining it???

Hi Skimmers

Yep I'm definitely recontact the building regs, they're pretty good in Old Trafford.

The red paint on the steel is "Red Oxide primer is an anti rust paint ensuring long term durability"
I wasn't going to paint this on, but more reading online, I may go ahead.

Could you explain "half bond on the boards is like brick work cut half a board"

I was going for two layers of plasterboard.

For the walls I was thinking of dot and dab boards.

Thanks

no jumping on the job Dextraneous :D
half bond is you start with a half board from the wall cut too the closest joist
then next full board and so on then next row you start with full board to the closest joist..
we cover your neck of the woods if you need a hand been to Scotland
on a barn job and oxford for monocuche lol we love to travel..

Cheers for all the tips
Dextraneous thanks for the props, bit and small platform.

Boards have been removed, netting up, spoke to building regs lady and cracking on again, hopefully with less mistakes

Plus i've built a myself a friend, who is helping me lots with the boarding :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back