Bodging an old leaking push fit waste into soil pipe boss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking for a cheap (less than say £20) bodge for my Granny's leaking sink waste pipe.

As you can see from the pictures, it's been a previous cowboy job (or more likely a series of previous cowboy jobs, judging by the 3 different colours of pipe involved).

full

full

It looks to me like when her new kitchen sink was fitted about 10 years ago, they have pulled out the old waste pipe, and pushed in a slightly thinner waste pipe at a steeper angle and the seal has recently failed.

Anyway, I know the proper way of fixing this would be to a cut a section of the soil pipe out and use a new boss with a new sink waste pipe etc etc etc. But I just know it would open a can of worms if the seals in soil pipe are disturbed. So I'm just looking to do a decent bodge for her.

I've already done some googling and it seems a good method of bodging this type of thing is using a product called Polypipe GFC100 gap fill cement. Unless anyone has any better suggestions or alternative products?

So here is my plan of action.

1. Spray some bleach around the join to kill any moss.
2. Push a clean rag into the gap to remove any remaining muck and moss.
3. Thoroughly dry the gap with a hairdryer.
4. Squirt some Polypipe GFC100 gap fill cement into the gap.
5. Wait a minimum of 24 hours and test.

What really puts me off this Polypipe GFC100 gap fill cement is that because it's solvent based it will melt all the plastic together, meaning you'll only get one crack at it. Whereas using a silicone type product you could simply pick out the silicon and have another go at it.

So any other suggestions, better ideas or alternative products?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Two of these http://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-135-45-bend-white-40mm-pack-of-5/35521

Some of this http://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-...rch-_-SearchRec-_-Area1&_requestid=382840#_=p

And a new seal for the strap-boss

The waste pipe needs to go into the boss at 90 degrees. Cut the waste pipe and juggle the two 135 bends until you get a horizontal waste pipe

The gap fill cement might work for a time but the seal isn't going to bond to the rest of the fitting. If you want to try your method, then substitute a decent clear silicone for the solvent cement

You're dead right newboy, as there will be a rubber push fit seal inside that boss fitting, my idea of using Polypipe GFC100 gap fill cement isn't a sensible idea at all.

I would never have thought of using 2 x 135 degree bends to level out the angle of the pipe entry into the boss. That's exactly what required really, so cheers for that suggestion (y)

But as a first attempt, I will probably take the easy route and just use as nice bead of Dow Corning clear silicone around the joint.

After the silicone has cured (and I'm positive it's no longer leaking). To protect the silicone bead from the weather, is there any kind of bandage (or lagging) that I could wrap around the outside of the join?

Last edited:
Y

But as a first attempt, I will probably take the easy route and just use as nice bead of Dow Corning clear silicone around the joint.
Just use a tube of Fernox LSX - don't buy a big gun tube of DC - no need to wrap either, just clean and dry the area- well under £20:notworthy:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back