Boiler advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We need to replace our boiler and currently have a Worcester Bosch 440 Highflow (or its predecessor) which has served us well for the last 12 years. Our house has 3 floors and 3 bathrooms and whilst I gather a Combi is not the best solution for this the developer had installed the Combi as a space-saving measure and there is no room anywhere for a tank!

Our local plumber has advised that simplest option is to install the Worcester Bosch 440 Highflow but having red the thread I would be grateful if anyone could offer advice on the best way forward.

One point of concern is that the quote of (£2679 inc VAT) which covers the boiler and draining does not seem to include a "powerflush?" of the pipes pre-intallation of the new boiler - which we had been advised to have (by Br Gas who maintain the boiler).

I would appreciate any guidance on available options (2 boilers as suggested above or another make - ACV HeatMaster), reasonableness of quote (I have NO DIY skills) and whether the powerflush is a good idea.

:oops:

Sponsored Links
Tsotsi is the Xhosa word for "thief" !!!

Most people would say a vaillant 937 is a better boiler and being wall mounted might free up floor space.

Certainly the latest Worcester High Flows are more reliable then the previous ones and a little easier to work on.

Its the installers responsibility to ensure the system is clean. His quote should cover whatever is necessary to achieve this.

Tony

Tsotsi said:
We need to replace our boiler and currently have a Worcester Bosch 440 Highflow (or its predecessor) which has served us well for the last 12 years. Our house has 3 floors and 3 bathrooms and whilst I gather a Combi is not the best solution for this the developer had installed the Combi as a space-saving measure and there is no room anywhere for a tank!

Our local plumber has advised that simplest option is to install the Worcester Bosch 440 Highflow but having red the thread I would be grateful if anyone could offer advice on the best way forward.

One point of concern is that the quote of (£2679 inc VAT) which covers the boiler and draining does not seem to include a "powerflush?" of the pipes pre-intallation of the new boiler - which we had been advised to have (by Br Gas who maintain the boiler).

I would appreciate any guidance on available options (2 boilers as suggested above or another make - ACV HeatMaster), reasonableness of quote (I have NO DIY skills) and whether the powerflush is a good idea.

:oops:

The 440 is a very good boiler and re-designed since the 400. It will do two bathrooms, however three is pushing it. But if you do not use all at the same time (few ever do) then the 440 is fine. The recovery rate of the store in the boiler is fast enough to run bath after bath. It can do two baths with a reduced flow rate which means few minutes extra to fill each bath.

The three bathroom model Gledhill requires a 35mm cold mains supply. So you are limited by the mains supply. No sense in getting a Gledhill when the mains can't cope.

What is wrong with the 400?

The 440 is a very good boiler and re-designed since the 400. It will do two bathrooms, however three is pushing it. But if you do not use all at the same time (few ever do) then the 440 is fine. The recovery rate of the store in the boiler is fast enough to run bath after bath. It can do two baths with a reduced flow rate which means few minutes extra to fill each bath.

The three bathroom model Gledhill requires a 35mm cold mains supply. So you are limited by the mains supply. No sense in getting a Gledhill when the mains can't cope.

What is wrong with the 400?[/quote]

Thank you for taking time to reply - much appreciated. We have had the exisiting boiler for nerly 14 years and BG struggled to repair it last winter and advised a replacement which I accepted for reasons discussed below). It might have another year left but I travel a great deal and don't wish to leave the family with an unreliable system.

Do you have any view on the desirability of having the powerflush (BG said this was very important and I was inclined to believe him as he also recommended that we get another firm to do the new one - the reason I accpted his advice re a new boiler). Also can you recommend a good timing switch - preferably one we can access via the net? or remotely.

Again, your help is appreciated and we will run with the new 440.

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
Tsotsi is the Xhosa word for "thief" !!!
According to Wikipedia, Tsotsi is a Sesotho slang word for a "thug" or "robber".

go with the 440 but ask BG why specifically they recommend a powerflush. get evidence if necessary. if the water is manky it shouldnt be a hassle for the bloke to show you this.

if it is manky you need to ask your potential installers to include this in the quotes.

You are correct re the meaning of Tsotsi - it is the zulu word for thief, miscreant etc but all the other 10 names I tried had been taken!

I took the advice re a powerflush as being given in good faith as the BG person who did this had also advised us not to use BG as he said they would be (more) expensive.

We do live in a hard water area (West London) and he suggested the flush would clean out the pipes and prevent any existing muck (in the pipes) from fouling the new boiler. Is that typical / neccessary?

I will revisit this issue with our plumber. Does anyone have a handle on the quote in terms of high/low/fair cost - they estimate one day for installation.

Last any suggestions re a reliable timer would be welcome as this is not mentioned in the quote.

All help appreciated.

Tsotsi is actually a Xhosa word but in SA all Zulus understand many words of Xhosa and many speak a slang mixture of Xhosa and Zulu.

The name Tsotsi is quite well known now following the success of the film of that name last year. They speak Zulu and Xhosa and English in the film but mostly mixed Zulu/Xhosa.

Chris, if you ask a Xhosa or Zulu what tsotsi means they will all say "thief" and not robber or thug! Wikipedia does not always give the exact meaning. Sesotho is the language of tiny sethoso area.

The water in London is not particularly hard from a boiler's point of view. I have never seen a boiler scaled without a fault having caused the scaling.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back