Boiler alterations (edited)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two things really....

Firstly my friends wants the boiler moved around 20ft in his bungalow. Location where he wants it has cold water, gas and drain outside. I know there are many variables when it comes to cost but, ball park figure? I said £500 approx. Its a condensing boiler, 1 year old. He has just bought the property and the boiler is in the open plan living room with the kitchen on the opposite side of that room. He wants it in the kitchen instead.

Secondly, any idea of a decent system to control the heating / hot water as there is none. Just basic on the boiler. He wants to be able to control it from his phone too. No idea of make of the boiler. It also needs a magnaclean fitted as none there.

Any pointers be great. Thanks

Sponsored Links
As far as the moving the boiler is concerned, how long is a piece of string, as far as remote controls go there are many all depends on what he wants do be able to control, we need more information, but here is a welth of free Professionall information, so supply more details and you will get all the help you want

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
What more do you need?

He wants to move the boiler approx 20ft. Its a bungalow. Pipework in attic. No walls inbetween where it is and where he wants it. All services in location of where he wants it.

As for boiler controls, like i said, he wants to be able to control the heating via his phone. There are only bog standard basic controls on the boiler at present.

Sponsored Links
I'd be inclined to be closer to £1k even though it seems like a really straightforward job on the surface.
It'll need a meaty core drill for the new flue, and making good of the old exit point.
It'll need new copper in 22/28 mm for water jointing to the old system.
It might need a new copper gas feed depending on the boiler specification/requirement.
A basic Hive controller is £150, that's going to need wiring up properly once a place to live for it has been decided.
You say he's got services at the location he wants to put it, electrically most controllers I'm familiar with need a 3 Amp fused spur. The guys on here will know better than I do if this needs to come off a specific circuit, but I myself wouldn't lash it off a socket circuit, and your controller will then supply the boiler with power when there is demand. Depending on where you put the controller new wiring will need to go to the S/Y Plan valves.
It's not as small a job as it might first appear to my mind.

Depending on location in the country and any materials will depend on cost, just because you’ve given a 20ft measurement doesn’t mean it’ll be easy. There’s flueing arrangements to consider and some boilers don’t like to be moved. As for controls as said there’s plenty available with more being able to control via phone - budget cost can be a factor too. Nest, Hive, Wiser, Tado, EPH to name a few. Is it single channel or twin channel required?

South Wales. Lots of boilers get moved. I never seen one complain! Lol

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back