Boiler and Radiator Sizing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having my bungalow's gas boiler replaced and am considering replacing my radiators as well. The radiators are probably original 1975 vintage, steel panels with no fins, mostly singles but some doubles as well. According to http://www.pipecasings.co.uk/downloads/download files/Radiator Output Calculator.pdf, they total about 18kW.

My boiler has some info written on it - depending on gas rate it's either 28.9kW or 31.3kW input and 20.5kW or 23.5kW output.

So here are the questions:

Given that since this system was installed (and presumably sized correctly) I've had 3 times more roof insulation added, plus cavity walls filled, do I really need a 30kW boiler as everyone seems to be trying to sell me ? Does it matter if it's "too big".

Secondly, if I do replace the rads, should I go smaller to get the same or less wattage than before, or just get something the same size so it fits existing pipework better (but would be higher output, since it will have fins now) ? Can the radiator outputs be "too big" ?

Sponsored Links
To answer your questions correctly, heat loss calculations would be required.
This would mean measuring the size of rooms, finding the U values of the building fabric enclosing each room and any temperature differences between rooms, internal walls and external walls, plus heat loss through windows doors and air changes.
Then your rads can be sized and an appropriate sized boiler chosen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back