Boiler Breakdown Xmas Day

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, i have a Megaflo unvented system with an Ideal classic se21FF boiler downstairs. Woke up yesterday heating and hot water had both been on in the morning. But when i tried to put it back on for more water the boiler would not fire up as normal.
The boiler will not ignite for heating or hot water. When i move the programmer to on for heating, the boiler comes alive after a few seconds but wont fire. ie, the fan is operating. If i move the programmer to on for water it does nothing. I removed the cover and checked the fans operation and this seems fine.
I have no problem with getting someone out, just not today for obvious reasons.
All im asking is are there any checks i could do to help diagnose the problem without going in too deep.

Any help appreciated.
I am a qualified mechanical engineer, therefor i have some knowledge but obviously would not delve into the gas side of the boiler.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks,
That is probably what i will do, as i did say in my post.
The question im asking is are there any user resets or things i myself can check.
I will call someone tomorrow as the temperature today is liveable and i do have an immersion for water.

Nothing really you can check our reset other than the overheat stat oh the side.

But from your description of what is happening that isn't the problem.

Good boilers mind you.

Sponsored Links
Thanks,
i can cope till tomorrow.
Couldn't have happened at a worse time.

After all day yesterday and most of today with the fan going but no ignition the boiler suddenly burst into life.
The only thing i did do today was spray the fan bearings with some lubricating spray, could this have helped?
I will still arrange for an engineer to check after the bank holiday.

You see Mikil, a DIYer should not be removing the case off the boiler as hat forms the room sealed aspect of the boiler which makes it safe.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back