Drayton Tempus 7 not firing up boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After being away for a week I turned the hot tap on on Monday to find no hot water.
After putting the hot water (and then the heating to check) on on the programmer the boiler would not operate.

I called a plumber out who diagnosed that the fan had gone and replaced it.

The problem is that the boiler will not fire up when connected to the switch that is usually the power switch for it, however the plumber disconnected the wires at the back of the switch and put a plug on instead. Plugged it into the mains and on came the boiler.

I have tried a new drayton programmer and no difference. When I connect a electric tester to the switch connected to the boiler it seems to have no power. I am guessing some power should be showing as going to this. There is def power into the programmer.

The system is a boiler and a hot water tank controlled by the tempus 7 programmer.

I'm sorry this is so vague, as you have probably guessed I am a complete Novice and completely stuck.

Happy to answer any questions and would be so grateful for any advice.

Thanks in Advance

Sponsored Links
What sort of boiler have you got? What motorised valve(s) have you got?

I don't 100% understand your post, but depending on the boiler, the power to the boiler maybe being cut off by something else like cylinder stat or poss the motorised valve.

What sort of boiler have you got? What motorised valve(s) have you got?

I don't 100% understand your post, but depending on the boiler, the power to the boiler maybe being cut off by something else like cylinder stat or poss the motorised valve.

Sorry I know i'm a bity vague, I really have no idea !!! Ihave added some images to try and show the set up. The boiler is an Ideal Slimline Classic FF240.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Does the pump run?

Yeah as fas as I can see, when the boiler is plugged into the mains, everything seems to run fine. The HW and the CH all heats up. Will just not work when wired in the switch as shown hanging off the wall in the above picture.

Is there a reason why there is power to the programmer but then seems like nothing to the main switch for the boiler. Would that then have power to it when the CH or HW is switched on to start the boiler. (sorry for basic q's)

Whenever the hw or ch, or both, are turned on on the programmer, as long as the stats are calling for heat, the pump and boiler are both energised.The fused spur where the boiler connects into the wall shouldn't be live all the time. Only when ch, hw or both are turned on.

The positive wire of the pump should go back to the same positive connection for the boiler in the wiring centre. You need to check continuity from this terminal in wiring centre to the boiler's fused spur outlet. You also need to check the continuity of the neutral wire from the boiler's fused spur back to it's negative terminal in the wiring centre.

All I can think is that something in the wiring centre has been disturbed. If not, I'm stumped.

Whenever the hw or ch, or both, are turned on on the programmer, as long as the stats are calling for heat, the pump and boiler are both energised.The fused spur where the boiler connects into the wall shouldn't be live all the time. Only when ch, hw or both are turned on.

The positive wire of the pump should go back to the same positive connection for the boiler in the wiring centre. You need to check continuity from this terminal in wiring centre to the boiler's fused spur outlet. You also need to check the continuity of the neutral wire from the boiler's fused spur back to it's negative terminal in the wiring centre.

All I can think is that something in the wiring centre has been disturbed. If not, I'm stumped.

The plumber who fixed the fan checked the wiring centre and seems to think its all working ok. Really don't know where to go know as everyone is stumped !!

Have you checked the fuse on the switch ? all you have done is bypassed the fused spur by putting a plug on the cable that energises the programmer/heating controls.

Have you checked the fuse on the switch ? all you have done is bypassed the fused spur by putting a plug on the cable that energises the programmer/heating controls.

Yeah checked the fuse and changed it just in case. Just to check, I have the switch off the wall to try and check the power. Testing it there is no power. Even when I put the HW or CH on the programmer no power seems to get to the back off the switch. This is when some power should go to that to turn the boiler on I'm guessing.

Thanks

Look in the consumer unit to see if breaker has tripped, the switch supplies electricity to the programmer not the other way round.

Look in the consumer unit to see if breaker has tripped, the switch supplies electricity to the programmer not the other way round.

The programmer has power to it. I have had it off the wall. Even tried a new one and there is def power to it. Will it be a breaker in the airing cupboard as in my pics or somewhere else. Sorry ti be stupid

You might have two supplies, one for the boiler and another one for the controls, this is dangerous for any one working on your heating system, check the consumer unit as the breaker suppling the boiler may have tripped, do you know where your consumer unit is ? its a box with lots of switches inside and may be near the electricity meter.

You might have two supplies, one for the boiler and another one for the controls, this is dangerous for any one working on your heating system, check the consumer unit as the breaker suppling the boiler may have tripped, do you know where your consumer unit is ? its a box with lots of switches inside and may be near the electricity meter.

1st thing I checked an Def no fuses have tripped. Hoped it would be as easy as that!!!

Is it a coincidence that the fan and this power issue have happened at the same time?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back