Boiler Capped - Urgent Help Needed

Looks like it may be ncs if the ventilation is ok and it passes its flue flow and spillage checks, but I can see no signs of sooting, presumably that is inside the heat exchanger which begs the question did he get a brush and clean it out?.

Sponsored Links
Apparently the soot is on the black box - I did wipe my finger across it and picked up a bit of soot.

Nope, he didn't clean anything. What do you mean by ncs - sorry!

If the boiler's sooting up inside within 3 months of being cleaned, something's wrong.
"Signs of spillage" is alarming - turn boiler off

I have NEVER seen any boiler which has been deep cleaned to remove the cause of sooting where the previous sooting marks have been cleaned or painted over!!!

If I knew it had been set to work safely only three months before then I would assume that those signs of sooting were pre-existing!!!

My decision to condem would be based solely on the results of my flue performance tests.

I even wonder if the engineer even bothered to do any flue tests???

Tony

NCS meams not to current standards . Can`t see any signs of soot or spillage on the picture but i would want a closer look at flue and what it goes into .
The one thing he has missed is the draught divertor (on back of boiler)must be fully accesible and because how close your cupboard on the right is to boiler it isn`t

Sponsored Links
ChrisR wrote:
If the boiler's sooting up inside within 3 months of being cleaned, something's wrong.
"Signs of spillage" is alarming - turn boiler off

Agile said:
I have NEVER seen any boiler which has been deep cleaned to remove the cause of sooting where the previous sooting marks have been cleaned or painted over!!!

What Tony has seen, or not, makes no difference.

Agile said:
If I knew it had been set to work safely only three months before then I would assume that those signs of sooting were pre-existing!!!
A silly assumption, in my view.

Woggle, there are 3 levels of "Unsatisfaction"
Not to Current Standards
At Risk
Immediately Dangerous

Agile said:

A silly assumption, in my view.

I had worded that badly!

I never assume anything! What I should have said was that I would consider it likely that they may have been pre-existing.

However, I would always fully test the boiler before allowing it to continue in use.

Tony

true, although there appears to be some on the left hx insulation or it could be the light :confused:

Thanks for all the advice.

Stupid question, but since this is a regular condensing boiler which has been capped and we have a hot water tank, will he have removed the opportunity for us to heat hot water in the tank and supply it to taps?

Our hot water tank with controls (for water or heating priority) is in the airing cupboard and I did half wonder if we've still be able to get hot water that way.

On a slightly different note, assuming we have to get the boiler replaced, we are going to get a few quotes. Happy to continue with a regular condensing boiler as tanks are already in place but would welcome some thoughts on preferred boilers (and if you think it'd be worth going down the combi route).

There are two of us living in a 3 bed mid-terrace 1960's property (1 bathroom).

Ideally would like to be able to box the boiler in a cupboard in the kitchen (will have a chance to refit the kitchen in the next year or so).

Thanks!
Thanks

Its conventional, not condensing ;) . You will only get hot water if you have an electric immersion heater in your water cylinder fed from a different electrical supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back