Legal requirement for a gas safety check?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My parents have switched from BG to eon, they have been to take the initial readings. Its their own home, not rented. Eon have written several times saying they have to come and do a gas safety check, my old man is convinced they are trying to push them onto a smart meter. They are now threatening to get an access order from court and charge him for it.

They don't know that BG did a safety check just before they switched, the guy said the meter was relatively new and all ok. There was a problem with leaky chimneys but they had the gas fires capped and replaced with electric.

Both BG and eon mentioned recent changes to the law, the only recent changes I can see relate to landlords not home owners

Are they trying it on to push a smart meter, or is there a requirement that the BG test won't fulfill for eon? On a related note, I'm looking at switching too and the supplier I am considering says there is no need for them to attend the property at all.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do they mean a check on the meter to make sure the readings are ok?

Unless they have taken boiler cover? Then no need for them to check appliances just because you get energy from them.

Maybe wires crossed somewhere, give them a call to confirm what it is they are asking. If you don’t want a smart meter just say no, as far as I’m aware they can’t force it

Could it be that Eon have their knickers in a twist because they don't know that BG have already inspected the meter. This is not a gas safety check as gas fitters will know it, it is a check of the meter installation, or rather, the gas installation up to and including the meter. My understanding is that National Grid or Transco do those checks.
I assume you've tried phoning them and explaining - I know my old man would be ignoring them and probably getting the same type of letters!

it is a check of the meter installation, or rather, the gas installation up to and including the meter

Indeed, they call it a "safety check", but really it's a "check that the customer hasn't tried to bypass the meter for free gas".

Npower threatened me with legal proceedings years ago for the same thing, just because I was at work the two times a meter reader came out to do a check.:rolleyes: Don't worry about it.

My understanding is that National Grid or Transco do those checks.

'MeterPlus' eventually did mine, a sub-contractor for Npower.

Sponsored Links
They are now threatening to get an access order from court and charge him for it.
They and other gas providers use that legal threat far to often (n).Sometimes for them to meet their ofgem targets or if they have an inspector doing bulk inspections in your area.
The gas provider has legal obligations to safety inspect the gas meter and its controls,every 2 years.Its usually a visual check and takes a few minutes.

Extract from the gas act :sleep:
12.12 An inspection under paragraph 12.8 must be carried out by a person possessing
appropriate skill and experience.

12.13 An inspection under paragraph 12.8 must include:
(a) taking a meter reading;
(b) inspecting the Gas Meter and associated installation for evidence of
tampering;
(c) inspecting the Gas Meter and associated installation for evidence that the
meter has not continuously been in position for the purpose of registering
the quantity of gas supplied;
Standard conditions of 25
Gas Supply Licence
(d) arranging for information in respect of any gas leakage identified in the
vicinity of the Gas Meter to be passed on in accordance with the Gas
Safety (Management) Regulations 1996 as if the licensee had been
informed of that leakage;
(e) inspecting the Gas Meter for any evidence of deterioration which might
affect its safety or proper functioning; and
(f) where necessary, and subject to the consent of the owner of the Gas Meter,
changing any batteries in the meter.

12.14 Nothing in sub-paragraphs 12.13(a) to (e) requires the licensee to disassemble any
part of the Gas Meter.

rjm2k nowt to worry about unless your folks have a meter bypass fitted as sold on some internet sales sites.:!:

As already advised its just a quick visual inspection every 12 months to satisfy an OFGEM recommendation, usually carried out by a contractor who isnt really qualified in anything they are usually just meter readers and it allows them to tick a box and bill the supplier, nothing at all to worry about and they cant force you to have a smart meter if you dont want it.

They have right of entry to read the meter but need a court order to force entry if customer is not compliant .
Have they not had meter read for a long time? , supply company cannot enforce bill payment on estimates so require a reading to enforce payment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back