smart meter different enegy supplier

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a smart meter fitted by BG a couple of years ago. Then I swapped to Eon. If I recall correctly I tried the meter after I swapped and it didn't work and I think I phoned eon and they said they would have to fit their own at some undisclosed time in the future. Surely this is madness they should be interchangeable? Looking at the government website it says that smart meters should still work if you change supplier. So was I given the correct information and there is no way a BG meter will work with eon? I tried plugging it in again yesterday and it still doesn't read out energy usage.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure you mean a smart meter, not an energy monitor? I wouldn't expect you could plug in a smart meter.

pics.gif

Sponsored Links
Scottish Power sent me a energy meter which through their system would also allow me to program some plug in devices to switch items in the house, it used my internet connection and when I switched suppliers all but the remote monitor stopped working. As long as I change the batteries as and when required in the CT which clipped on the supply lead I can still monitor current used which is shown as Watts an Kilowatts. However all the computer software failed.

This may give you extra info but it is not a smart meter. The smart meter is required where there is micro generation other wise the DNO has to read two meters and guess how much power was exported. So they have a real need to ensure the role out of smart meters or they are paying you over the odds for the exported power. With no micro generation there is no need for a smart meter, the clip on CT and internet link will give you all the advantages of a smart meter but it will not allow anyone to work out which direction current flows. Be it to the DNO or from the DNO the standard meter has no idea it just knows current has flowed. So the energy companies want to role out true smart meters but the meters that allow you to monitor the power used on the PC are not always smart meters in true sense of the phrase.

Thanks for the replies. It looks like I am confused about the difference between a smart meter and an energy monitor. I am talking about a device which is plugged into the mains and tells me how energy I am using. When they fitted it they also fitted a new meter which I think can tell them my energy usage over a mobile network. I thought the two things together was smart metering. Of course the meter is still working (unfortunately) but the plug in display no longer tells me my energy usage.

Last edited:
Could you post a picture of your meter? It might be a smart meter, or might just be a remote readable meter.

Thanks for further replies. The device is an ecometer P450. There is a picture of the display on this webpage.
http://thephoenixnewspaper.com/arti...-millionth-smart-meter-in-a-british-home.html
I can't see anything in the settings that I can change. It just tells me the model number etc.
When it worked it read out precisely the electrical usage from the meter but I think I was told the gas reading wasn't so precise but near enough. It did this just plugged in to the mains. As I'm sure its not WiFi I can only think it sent the info over the mains supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back