Can you swap suppliers if you have a smart meter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
as in the title, once you have been with a smart meter supplier, if you wish to swap to another supplier who does not do smart meters in the future can the smart meter be read as a normal one? as i understand it still has a kwh display. Or do you have to pay to have an old style meter fitted again?

Sponsored Links
Won't be long before they are all doing it though - the new possibilities for increasing revenue by charging more at peak times and/or improving their competitive positioning by facilitating consumption reduction by smart appliances will be too great to resist.

Particularly with the govt encouraging them to to it so that there's better granularity for targeted power cuts when generating capacity runs out... ;)

i could be wrong but i believe the only things that can stop you transfering your supplier is excessive debt and
the length off contract you sighed

Sponsored Links
A meter is a meter is a meter. They all have a reference number, your property has a MPAN (whatever that is), so you can swap. How they read your meter is up to them - but all meters can be read like a traditional meter.

No it won't, not unless we get this topic moved to Electrics Outside of the UK...

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back