Who actually turns off a Smart Meter

Hi,no I did not mean to lead you into thinking I would turn off the power ...but the now "turned off" Smart Meter shows No readings just blank screen....so to get to the actual readings now I have pressed an arrow (on the Smart Meter ) and it shows the actual readings

Sponsored Links
OK. ..not physically turned off....but the original utility company who installed it has turned off the readings element as they no longer will be using it....so its just a blank screen now when looking at it.

Sponsored Links
Nooooooooo ..... my daughter had a smart meter .....but switched to another supplier who does not use smart meters.......her new supplier has asked her to send in her monthly usage readings.......but when checking the meters in her meter box(where the smart meter is located).....she could not get any readings because the screens were blank on the smart meter......and as there is no alternative meters just the smart meter .....there was no readings to send in......and we wondered now how to find them.

But there is NO readings on it.....just blank screens .....and the new supplier wants my daughters first readings now.
I’ve just checked ours - due to be changed next month as we have just changed suppliers. I had nothing showing until I pressed a button and then it lit up. Continuous pressing of the button and it cycled through time, date, daily charge and ended up on total units used.

Hi,no I did not mean to lead you into thinking I would turn off the power ...but the now "turned off" Smart Meter shows No readings just blank screen....so to get to the actual readings now I have pressed an arrow (on the Smart Meter ) and it shows the actual readings
sorry i may have confused you
they can without asking you turn your power off remotely with a smart meter
so after the "turning off the meter" comment from you i was just clarifying but said you instead off them by mistake

Just to clarify here, as it has an LCD and is supposed to enable power saving within the house (oh yeah!) it most likely also has a power saving mode within it that simply disables the LCD display when not required and a press of a button will re enable it for a short time, long enough for it to be read manually.

The meters themselves are not "turned off", it is just that it has gone into sleep mode. Switching suppliers on first gen smart meters shows that they are not too smart as the new utility company likely cannot read them.

ISTR (read a news article)
The new breed of smart meters that will allow any utility company registered with the central data organization that is going to retain the data will enable easy switch over.

I still won't have one.

Part of the contract is that they cannot impose unreasonable terms and conditions.

If she cannot make the meter display readings then she is not at fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back