Who actually turns off a Smart Meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, as the title says...Who Actually Turns Off a Smart Metre....my daughter just switched energy suppliers and the new supplier does not use Smart Meters ..so we know it will/should be turned off....BUT who actually turns it off .....the Old Utility Company or my daughter ? Cheers anyone for advice.

Sponsored Links
it doesn't need to be turned off. The new supplier just won't read it.

Are there no buttons on the front?

I’d there isn’t then the only way is to get a final reading from the old utility company and inform the new one your meter is, essentially faulty and request a new one.

There will be a way to do manual readings - there has to be in case the GSM module fails

Sponsored Links
Hi, as we know nothing about smart meters we assumed that the readings would still be on the display even though they would not be read automatically,... YES there are buttons and a Left and Right arrows too,....so I assume we press the arrows or buttons to get an actual reading (trial and error so to speak) would that be correct ?

with luck, your supplier (the old one or the new one) will have a "how to read your meter" leaflet or web page.

Something like
https://sse.co.uk/help/energy/meters/how-to-read-your-meter

the first generation of smart meters are rubbish and will all be taken out. They were only installed so the government could claim some progress.

I will resist having one.

Having just swapped suppliers, we're getting our second lot of smart meters fitted on November 22nd as our existing ones don’t work with the new supplier. I can’t wait - I’ve practically dislocated my neck and back trying to take readings from the old smart meters in the most awkward to get at position in the understairs cupboard. Wouldn’t be too bad if it weren’t for all the crap in there - boxes of dog food, wine rack, assorted coats and boots, a vacuum cleaner and two pairs of inline skates - our kids are 29 and 31 and don't even live here anymore! I’ll have a proper sort out on the day as that lot has all got to cleared out so that they can fit the new meters.

If all these smart meters were not continually being fitted and replaced the suppliers could afford meter readers again and more importantly would be able to reduce costs so much we wouldn't need to keep shopping around for cheaper deals.

We all pay for this nonsense.

If all these smart meters were not continually being fitted and replaced the suppliers could afford meter readers again and more importantly would be able to reduce costs so much we wouldn't need to keep shopping around for cheaper deals.

To True!

We all pay for this nonsense.
Yep... At last years prices (2016) circa £140 per meter (hidden in the bill)

Where I live 75% of the houses have taken up the 'offer' only to find that they still have to read the meters as the GSM signal does not penetrate into the meters. Only one house has a 'smart' meter that works - Occaisionally...

I’ve practically dislocated my neck and back trying to take readings from the old smart meters in the most awkward to get at position in the understairs cupboard.
Just tell them you are physically unable to read the meter and that they'll have to send a reader.

companies make there money from apathy and loyalty
switching is enticed by the lowest price
and at the end you need do nothing to go onto there standard perhaps 30- 50% more
banks insurance companies power suppliers and many more "hook" you in then use your apathy or loyalty to make there best profits

Is it the case that when homes have a smart meter installed, the 'gas and electricity meters' are removed/disabled? Crackers!

Motman- stick yer phone in (without your neck) at arm's length and snap a pic!

Is it the case that when homes have a smart meter installed, the 'gas and electricity meters' are removed/disabled? Crackers!
When any new meter is installed, the old one is removed.

What would be crackers would be to leave them.

So I guess from all this chat then....the company disconnects the smart meter (turns it off) and I press a button or arrow ( on the now turned off Smart meter )to display the current readings .....cheers

no if you turn turn the meter off you will turn the power off to the house
they simply use it as a manual to read meter and not use any remote functions
in other words ignore all functions except the consumption readings on the display

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back