Smart meters have never connected

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After much badgering, I decided to finally let Eon fit smart meters last November. It was hard enough manually reading the old meters in my stair cupboard so I figured this would solve the problem as they would all be read remotely. Ah, if only. Ever since they were fitted, they have not been able to get remote readings from them so I still have to send manual readings to them monthly. I have questioned them on this and they said they were investigating but that was 6 months ago so I think I have just been fobbed off.

So, because of their less than mediocre customer services, I have recently looked at switching to Octopus. However, a note on their site says that remote readings of smart meters (even gen2 like mine) may still not be possible. I don't really know where to turn for advice. Is there a possibility mine are in a position where they can't be remotely read? Interestingly, I had an Eon engineer carry out a pre smart meter installation check some four years ago and he said it would be pointless as there was no signal in the cupboard where they were to be fitted! Any advice welcome.

Sponsored Links
Interestingly, I had an Eon engineer carry out a pre smart meter installation check some four years ago and he said it would be pointless as there was no signal in the cupboard where they were to be fitted!
Is that not conclusive enough?

The supplier has an obligation to investigate and resolve . As you have been waiting so long insist on some compensation too

Sponsored Links
So, because of their less than mediocre customer services, I have recently looked at switching to Octopus. However, a note on their site says that remote readings of smart meters (even gen2 like mine) may still not be possible. I don't really know where to turn for advice. Is there a possibility mine are in a position where they can't be remotely read? Interestingly, I had an Eon engineer carry out a pre smart meter installation check some four years ago and he said it would be pointless as there was no signal in the cupboard where they were to be fitted! Any advice welcome.

Best advice, keep badgering them. I understand they can add external antennas, to improve reception. Only your electric meter transmits the data back to base, your gas meter reports to the electric meter, and data is sent as a batch, maximum one per day, late evening, early morning.

Can you get a mobile signal on your phone?

Octopus, are especially responsive I have found..

After much badgering, I decided to finally let Eon fit smart meters last November. It was hard enough manually reading the old meters in my stair cupboard so I figured this would solve the problem as they would all be read remotely. Ah, if only. Ever since they were fitted, they have not been able to get remote readings from them so I still have to send manual readings to them monthly.
You should have done what I recently described as what I have done to resist (so far!) my supplier's wish to install a 'smart' meter ...

... I explained to them that, knowing my house, I thought it extremely unlikely that they would be able to established communication with a smart meter here. However, I also told them that if, despite that warning, they installed a 'smart' meter, I would thereafter refuse point-blank to provide them with any meter readings - so that, if they continued to want 'monthly readings' (which what they ask for, and get, at the moment), they would have to send out a meter reader every month ;)

So far, that has successfully 'ket them at bay' !

Kind Regards, John

I wonder if you should read the meters regularly and work out your bill and put the money into a savings account but refuse to send readings to Eon as they have fitted smart meters. You will need to pay which is why I suggested saving the money but a lack of readings might make then act.

Last edited:
I suppose the only good thing about having the meters changed is that they replaced the old circa 1970's meters that were fitted when the house was built. However it doesn't alter the fact that they are not doing what they are meant to do and why they were fitted.
I am going to get on to Eon again to see what they have to say before looking elsewhere.

I woner if you should read the meters regularly and work out your bill and put the money into a savings account but refuse to send readings to Eon as they have fitted smart meters. You will need to pay which is why I suggested saving the money but a lack of readings might make then act.
I doubt that there would be a need to 'save thee money' since, if they weren't getting readings, they would simply issue bills (which one would have top pay) on the basis of estimated reeadings.

However, as I said, that's what I've threatened my supplier with. If, despite my 'warnings' they fit a 'smart' meter which is not able to send them readings, I will refuse to send them any readings myself.

I would add that, unlike others, I would have no real problem with their fitting a 'smart' meter (I have them in other properties I own) - but, as a matter of principle, since one of the 'advantages' they are majoring on is that I wouldn't then need to send readings, I feel obliged to make them lay in that bed that they have made for themselves :)

Kind Regards, John

I suppose the only good thing about having the meters changed is that they replaced the old circa 1970's meters that were fitted when the house was built.
Strictly speaking, they should be at least 'checked' (for accuracy of metering) but, in reality, I very much doubt that a meter installed in the 70s, or before, will be significantly less accurate today than it was when first installed.

Kind Regards, John

Strictly speaking, they should be at least 'checked' (for accuracy of metering) but, in reality, I very much doubt that a meter installed in the 70s, or before, will be significantly less accurate today than it was when first installed.

Kind Regards, John
Probably not. The old ones were looking their age though and the old gas meter was large compared to the new one. We have also had new gas pipes run to the house recently so the new gas meter was connected up to new pipework which was no bad thing.

I suppose the only good thing about having the meters changed is that they replaced the old circa 1970's meters that were fitted when the house was built. However it doesn't alter the fact that they are not doing what they are meant to do and why they were fitted.
I am going to get on to Eon again to see what they have to say before looking elsewhere.

You were considering moving to Octopus, as said, they are a very responsive company. I have contacted them around five times, since moving to them, they've always sorted things out almost instantly, with the absolute minium of fuss.

Probably not. The old ones were looking their age though and the old gas meter was large compared to the new one. We have also had new gas pipes run to the house recently so the new gas meter was connected up to new pipework which was no bad thing.
I know nothing about gas meters, so my comments related only to electricity ones.

As for electricity meters, you might be surprised. In my time, I have tested a good few electro-mechanical ('spinning disk') electricity meters which have been removed after 50+ years of service. All have very much 'looked their age' (some looking pretty tatty) but none of them proved to be significantly inaccurate.

Unless they stop working completely, the most likely thing to happen in their 'old age' is that friction/'stiction' in the bearings might somewhat slow rotation of the disk. From the point-of-view of the consumer, that would result is some degree of underestimation of electricity usage (hence bills lower than they should be), something which the consumer may not wish to complain about :) I cannot think of anything that would/could cause the disk to rotate more rapidly than it should (thereby resulting in bills which were too high).

Kind Regards, John

You should have done what I recently described as what I have done to resist (so far!) my supplier's wish to install a 'smart' meter ...

... I explained to them that, knowing my house, I thought it extremely unlikely that they would be able to established communication with a smart meter here. However, I also told them that if, despite that warning, they installed a 'smart' meter, I would thereafter refuse point-blank to provide them with any meter readings - so that, if they continued to want 'monthly readings' (which what they ask for, and get, at the moment), they would have to send out a meter reader every month ;)

So far, that has successfully 'ket them at bay' !

Kind Regards, John
exactly what I've told EDF on several occaisions. They didn't believe me, sent out 'trained' meter changers on 2 occasions, first meter changer took one look at the electric meter board, said he didn't know what to do and did a runner. 2nd chap started, then on my insistence checked for a mobile signal and had to agree it would be unlikely to work reliably. He left the installation as it was and reported back that the SM was unlikely to work.

to date they have stopped pestering me.

I doubt that there would be a need to 'save thee money' since, if they weren't getting readings, they would simply issue bills (which one would have top pay) on the basis of estimated reeadings.
How many other situations are there where a company can say "you owe us £x - we have no proof of that, we're just guessing, but you have to pay"?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back