Smart meters have never connected

An interesting personal development....

There is a property for which I am responsible for the electricity supply, which I visit only occasionally and is quite often unoccupied, which has a 'smart' meter.

My supplier (Ovo) have just contacted me saying that their 'smart' meter has not provided them with meter readings for the last couple of weeks or so and asking me "if I would mind" providing them with a meter reading.

In reply, I have said that I would 'mind' doing as they ask, I pointed out that the primary reason i agreed to their fitting a 'smart' meter was their assurance that it would remove the need for me to provide them with readings (obviously difficult for me, since I am rarely there) - so that if they want readings, they will simply have to send a meter reader to get them - and adding that, since there is only occasionally someone there to provide access, the meter reader will have to make an appointment to visit at a date/time which is convenient for me!

I await their response to my reply ;)

Kind Regards, John
I have been talking to a private landlord with a property unoccupied for at least half a year due to a structural problem, the problem has nessessitated isolation of power and water and removal of cables & pipes. Apparently the provider is now threatening legal action for not providing a manual reading of the smart meter as it is reporting zero use and he has explained this. Even worse is they have it recorded as disconnected.

Sponsored Links
I have just been forced to get a smart meter fitted, told the law changed 6 weeks ago and now I can't get a feed in tariff without one. So either I don't get paid for feed in or I fit a smart meter.

Why it needs a smart meter I don't know, seems up to 6 weeks ago they would take the reading on the export meter, it seems I will be exporting to Scottish power but importing from British gas, so British Gas is fitting a smart meter so Scottish power can pay me, it all seems a bit crazy.

But as long as they pay me I could not care less if it sends data or not, but I have some times given reading to my wife to send to them, but also they call and read it themselves, it will save going outside to read the meter, but in the winter when snow on the ground I have simply refused to read until snow has cleared, already had one accident going down the steps to where the meter is, so in Winter simply don't go down.

I have been talking to a private landlord with a property unoccupied for at least half a year due to a structural problem, the problem has nessessitated isolation of power and water and removal of cables & pipes. Apparently the provider is now threatening legal action for not providing a manual reading of the smart meter as it is reporting zero use and he has explained this.
That's a little different. If the 'smart' meter is functioning (and communicating) satisfactorily, but is reporting zero usage, then, if they believe the property to be occupied, the provider might suspect some sort of criminal/fraudulent activity is taking place.

However, to ask the consumer to provide a 'manual' reading in such a situation would surely be total stupidity, wouldn't it?

I've never heard of a case in which legal action has been threatened, let alone taken, because a consumer will not provide readings. What they do is send a 'meter reader' and, if the reader repeatedly fails to get access, obtain a Court Order to enter the property (by force', if necessary), but never take any action against the consumer (unless, of course, it transpires that they have committed criminal acts).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
That's a little different. If the 'smart' meter is functioning (and communicating) satisfactorily, but is reporting zero usage, then, if they believe the property to be occupied, the provider might suspect some sort of criminal/fraudulent activity is taking place.

However, to ask the consumer to provide a 'manual' reading in such a situation would surely be total stupidity, wouldn't it?

I've never heard of a case in which legal action has been threatened, let alone taken, because a consumer will not provide readings. What they do is send a 'meter reader' and, if the reader repeatedly fails to get access, obtain a Court Order to enter the property (by force', if necessary), but never take any action against the consumer (unless, of course, it transpires that they have committed criminal acts).

Kind Regards, John
I can only go by what has been said, but he also says it's listed as disconnected

I can only go by what has been said, but he also says it's listed as disconnected
It gets sillier and sillier, doesn't it?

If they believe that the supply is 'disconnected', then they surely shouldn't be surprised that the 'smart' meter is reporting zero consumption, and would have no reason for attempting to 'force' him to provide meter readings?

Kind Regards, John

What 'law' would that be?

Kind Regards, John
He just told me law had changed, I have since looked on the web and some companies do not say they need a smart meter, but they offer half the rate to those who do require a smart meter. Scottish Power it seems require "You must have a Smart or AMR meter that can obtain half hourly readings and consent to Scottish Power taking them." AMR is seems means automatic meter reading device.

So it would seem if the smart meter does not work then you can't be paid for exported power.

There is no LAW saying you have to have a SM fitted

More like if you want feed In tariffs you have to have one

I’ve been my own SM this morning, been outside, read both meters and logged the readings on my suppliers system. Who needs a SM ?

They can, never will never reduce usage - what they can help with is in reducing the peak loads.

But will this actually happen?

Why aren’t those in power , pardon the pun, just come clean about what they are trying to achieve ?

Ps I’m not changing my habits

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back