Boiler Capped - Urgent Help Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

I have a bit of an urgent request for help if possible.

We have recently had our annual boiler inspection with Eon (as we have Central Heating and Boiler Cover with them). The guy from Eon has been out and has deemed our boiler unfit and capped it off.

We have previously had boiler cover with Powergen and in fact had our last inspection in January of this year when it passed fine (Powergen subcontracted their inspection work to local firms in the area). With Powergen moving to Eon we had to move to the new plan with Eon.

Anyway, it didn't go well - I had to show him where the ventilation was (otherwise he threatened to mark it as dangerous), he thought the central heating wasn't working (he hadn't noticed that the radiator thermostats were turned down) so he has capped it off because of three things:

1. Black soot within the boiler (never seen as a problem on previous inspections as it was just cleaned out)
2. Apparently the flume is not connected to the boiler correctly (again never picked up)
3. Electronic box inside the boiler is exposed (i.e. no cover - again never picked up)

I appreciate that he has to put our safety first but it doesn't install much confidence when I have to tell him about the boiler (and I don't know a huge amount myself) and that we had a boiler inspection not only 3 months ago which was cleared.

Anyway, we are now without central heating and hot water. His supervisor is coming out on Monday to assess the siutation (much from my complaints to Eon).

I appreciate that it is an old boiler and probably needs replacing at some stage in the future but I need some thoughts as to what to do (perhaps links to the legislation). Because it is an old boiler we won't be covered for full replacement on our cover plan - just a 5% discount for a new boiler.

If we have to replace the boiler, how much roughly should we be looking at for replacement and fitting? Is condensing boiler the way to go (we currently have a condensing boiler).

I'm a little annoyed at their approach - putting safety first I know is vital but threatening to cut my gas supply off to the house isn't very customer friendly!

Your thoughts would be much appreciated,

Sponsored Links
need some more info, type/model of boiler, system and maybe some pics of flue (at least that is what I think you mean by 'flume')

What boiler do you have and can you put a picture of flue connection or if it is a backboiler did he say the annulus was not sealed

It's an Ideal W2000 CF50 Model.

I'll put a photo up shortly as I need to take the cover of the boiler off if that's ok.

His notes say:

- Flue not connected to chimney correctly, flexible flue liner
- Sines of sooting (signs of spillage) - although he didn't do any cleaning which was done on previous inspections
- Cover missing on controls on electrical hazzard

Gas supply capped and electrical supply disconnected

Will come back shortly with the photo. Many thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Sines of sooting (signs of spillage

this is the most concerning issue,

is the spilliage from flue hood or just because of soot?

If the boiler's sooting up inside within 3 months of being cleaned, something's wrong.
"Signs of spillage" is alarming - turn boiler off
Incorrect flue connection and cover missing can be put right, probably.

Pending further testing I'd have capped it off too. Pics should confirm, unless he's a dork.

why are you saying turn off when its already capped :eek:

That's what I would have done ... as it says .... "I'd have...."

must be just the way i read it :oops: .....or the way you wrote it!

Photos coming shortly.

Interestingly, just had a look back at the last two inspection reports (April 06 and January 08 ) and both picked up that the boiler was 'slightly sooty' and the flue from the top of the boiler is not to current standard (flue liner from top of boiler).

Wonder why it was not capped off previously under our Powergen agreement?

Will put up photos. Would any of these three issues (i.e. soot or flue liner or electrical box) be enough for them to cap off? Guess you'll be able to tell by the photos.

Thanks again!

The sooting problem may very well require the appliance to be capped while replacement parts are ordered. How has he left it and what did he say?

His notes say:

- Flue not connected to chimney correctly, flexible flue liner
- Sines of sooting (signs of spillage) - although he didn't do any cleaning which was done on previous inspections
- Cover missing on controls on electrical hazzard

Gas supply capped and electrical supply disconnected
;)

Hi,

I've uploaded a few photos here: //network.diynot.com/Woggle/albums/148

Supervisor is coming out on Monday to have a look. I've asked them to review our care plan but I think we're only entitled to a 5% discount on a replacement boiler because it's older than 7 years old (unfortunately on Powergen's plan we could have had up to £1,500).

Thoughts most welcome.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back