Boiler casing screw missing for gas safety inspection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have been renting my flat out for a year and the gas safety inspection was due. I booked a registered engineer with good reviews to do a service and certificate for the boiler, which is a Sime Halstead Combi 30/90 (same as this diagram): https://www.plumbase.co.uk/halstead-wickes-combi-3090-10000780-3550087/explodedviews

The engineer failed the boiler because the screw for the casing is missing - I'm assuming he means the one labelled 37 in the diagram on the bottom of the front panel but I wasn't there at the time as the tenant was instead. There's a good chance the screw was present at the first inspection last year or it should've failed then, so this means either the tenant or today's engineer have somehow managed to "lose" it. I've accepted that I have to pay for the engineer to come back to fit the screw as I don't have much choice but to give benefit of the doubt this time and apparently on gas safe can touch the casing screws, but as far as I understand from a bit of online research, it's fairly common for gas engineers to carry an assortment of screws that are suitable to use as replacements in this kind of circumstance.

As the screw is now listed obsolete as an official part or OEM, I just want to educate myself a bit more about where I go from here - surely I can't be told I have to get a new boiler because a screw is obsolete? Is it safe to replace it with any screw that fits or will I be unable to get a gas safety certificate if this particular screw is unavailable? I'm waiting to get a quote tonight from the engineer for a single screw which seems a little ridiculous. I'll be disappointed if it's over 50p to be honest but of course it will be 100 times that just to come back to the property

I suspect I might be getting ripped off again but I don't seem to have much luck with safety inspections. I had British Gas check over the electrics before I rented, I have a fairly modern consumer unit but again it was failed on the top entry of the cables to the casing because the gap for entry was too big. I accept this was a genuine reason for a fail but instead of giving us the chance to caulk/silicone around the cable (using something that won't react with the cable, or course) or just fit a little capping plate, essentially I was told the only solution was to spend £800 replacing the CU, which I politely declined. This time it's not optional as I need the gas safety certificate by law (I solved the CU problem by fitting some mini trunking around the entry point so now it's safe).

I'll of course wait to see what the engineer comes back with but if he starts going down the sharp intake of breath route then I need to know if I have to keep my cool or call someone else to do the inspection and let him know what I really think.

Sponsored Links
A gas safety inspection is not pass or fail.
It is a report of the condition of the appliance on that day!!
A call back for a missing screw is taking the pi$$

First of all you cannot "fail" a gas inspection, its just a report on the condition of the installation, your rgi is taking the pee out of you for a missing screw, find a screw that fits and fit it.

just put any screw in that fits there is nothing special about that screw and nothing dangerous

Sponsored Links
As the others have said that screw is not important. It simply fixes the decorative cover in place, all the important stuff is behind the front cover.
Ignore the missing screw no one is going to die because it's missing. Unless the panel falls of and hits some one like a final destination movie.

I'm thinking of asking him for the certificate (sorry, partly my misunderstanding that it was pass/fail as he said he couldn't give me the certificate because the boiler wasn't safe, but I think I can ask for it from him as proof of inspection and then make sure the problem is rectified without the need for another check?). My initial reaction was riiiiight, and I was going to wait to see what he suggested once he had priced up the screw (I don't normally lol but I really just did). The trouble is, I also read this:
https://www.emergencyplumber.uk.com/plumbing/missing-boiler-screw-case/
which says you can't touch the casing screw as it is for Gas Safe only, so as ridiculous as this whole thing is, it does seem to have some substance. I would love to go round myself, fit the screw and that be the end of it, but it sounds like I can't and I don't want to be on the wrong side of H&S law when I am acting as a landlord.

I think all the replies are gassafe registered (I am)
I would have put the screw in myself from stock.
Charged you for my visit and give you your cert.

The other guy should charge you for the cert, give you your copy and leave you to either fit a screw (or get one fitted) or do nothing.
It's not his responsibility anymore. The onus is now upon you to carry out any repairs or advises.

Your gas man needs re educating.

Whilst he might have a (vaguely) valid point, I suspect he's being a little pedantic bordering on the questionable.

As said previously, most RGIs would have an assortment of screws in their bag, and as long as the casing is secured, I doubt if the type of screw is mandated, so pretty much anything compatible would do.

I suspect it wasn't refitted by the last engineer that inspected it.

Take one of the other screws down to your local hardware store, and see if you can find a near match. Whilst you're not allowed to open the casing, I don't think you'll find anything in the regs regarding tightening screws.

The screw must suit the application.

A BAC111 plane cockpit window blew out in flight.

The maintenance had not selected the correct labeled screws and just "similar" ones from a bin. They were 5mm too short and when subjected to pressure gave way and allowed the glass to fly outwards.

Did you pay this RGI ?

Did not know Halstead made boilers for planes. what gassafe catagory would that come under?

I suspect screw missing might be on the combustion door ....107 in the diagram. Chec length of other screws, fit same.

If RGI has billed you, pay his fees, get the gas report and, having taken remedial action, all is fine

If not invoiced, get another RGI to do the gas safety check

Last edited:
The guy is either "one of those", was having a particularly bad day or has been recently 'pulled up' by Gas Safe for not noticing something trivial.
If he tries to give you a hefty bill for returning to replace the screw and issuing the cert then I would suggest you tell him that, whilst you appreciate his need to be thorough, you consider that you are being overcharged for the rectification and are considering contacting Gas Safe for their opinion on the matter - that should do the trick!

whats wrong with the engineer , just fit a fooking screw , jesus whats wrong with some people . obviously don't want the work or something gone on we know nothing about . do yourself a favour and SEARCH ( not just google as a lot of good engineers don't need to advertise ) for a independent who values your custom thats been recommended ( friends or family ) , treat him good and pay on time and you will probably find you will get a lot more back than you pay him for , even though he maybe a couple quid extra (after all its one of the most used appliance in your property ).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back