Boiler certificates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a WB boiler installed in april to replace a baxi BB. The company/engineer was gas safe registered and before commencing the work i did check whether they would issue builidng regulation completion certificate and was informed they would.

I still dont have a completion cert despite contacting the company on a number of occassions. I have contacted gas safe who pass me back to building control who pass me back to gas safe.

I dont know really what to do know do i need one and if i cant get the company to issue one what happens then? sorry for the waffle but getting a bit fed up now :confused:
thanks

Sponsored Links
If you were promised one, they should have given you one, no argument there. The part I doubt is your claim for the need of it. What do you need it for?

was he really gas safe............ and why shouldnt you get one, you have paid your hard earned money to get it all done properly!

If you were promised one, they should have given you one, no argument there. The part I doubt is your claim for the need of it. What do you need it for?

I was under the impression that it is a requirement to comply with building regs, i did manage to pin down building control yesterday and asked if there would be a problem not having one and was told it would cause problems should i sell/remortage my house. They can inspect and issue cert for me just waiting to confirm cost.

This is definatley a gas safe buisness.

Sponsored Links
You may be asking for the wrong thing!

You said Building Regulation Completion Certificate.

Thats not supplied with a boiler installation. What you should get is a blue certificate showing the the installation was made by a Gas Safe registered business and should comply with the regulations.

That is posted to you by Gas Safe ( or other notifying organisations ) and it is NOT written out by the installer!

Tony

Don't worry about it. It is only part of the hip, and they are, or are about to be abolished.
I would not go to the council for advice if I were you, as the vast majority are complete morons that could not hold a job in the private sector for love or money.
So far I have to meet the first civic who can actually tell me exactly which paragraph in what law says you must have a gas certificate to sell your house.

I have to disagree with you there Ben.

The installation of a boiler is a Notifiable Activity under the Building Regulations.

When the Certificate is issued, a copy is sent by Gas Safe directly to Building Control so that aspect is complied with.

You dont need the Certificate to sell the house but if either Solicitor asks for one then you will have difficulties. One sale I know of failed because the seller did not have FENSA Certificates.

Tony

There are thousands of things compulsory under building regs/(by)laws and local requirements. That doesn't mean they are actually complied with in most cases. Nor does it mean that you can not sell your house without a cert.
As for lawyers/estate agents involved in house sales: if I had one single pound for every one of them that doesn't know his arse from his elbow, I could retire comfortably.
How many times have you had a punter call you up because the lawyer said he need THE corgi certificate? When you ask them which one of the 7 he wants, they have no idea.

I dont question them!

I just give them a standard Gas safety certificate at £65 and I have never had any solicitor question what it is.

Didn't you read the case I posted where a homeowner was fined £4000 for not notifying Building Control of installing a wood burning stove?

Tony

...Didn't you read the case I posted where a homeowner was fined £4000 for not notifying Building Control of installing a wood burning stove?

Tony

First of all, he may have been fined, but that does not mean he can not sell his house without a cert.
The fine is proving what? For many years people were fined and had their radar detectors confiscated. When that practice was finally questioned all the way to the top, it turned out be totally legal to have, and use a radar detector.

In my area, hundreds if not thousands of people get fined/clamped/towed every day, and something like three quarters get overturned when challenged.

Let's keep our eye one the core issue: you can sell your house without a gas cert.

You may be asking for the wrong thing!

You said Building Regulation Completion Certificate.

Thats not supplied with a boiler installation. What you should get is a blue certificate showing the the installation was made by a Gas Safe registered business and should comply with the regulations.

That is posted to you by Gas Safe ( or other notifying organisations ) and it is NOT written out by the installer!

Tony

Sorry, i am getting a bit confused by it all :confused: The problem is that the installer has not notified gas safe for them to do this. Gas safe say they issue the certs on notification but are not responsible for ensuring this is done and it is building control who should enforce it.

I would'nt worry about it ! got your benchmark log book filled in ? install was done by a gas safe firm ect leave it at that ! all this certification on boilers ect . We stopped notifying some while ago when it came to our attention that Corgi were mis useing the information that they had compiled when they were running it !

bit of a nonsense really if the same boiler you have was installed in a non residental building u do not need to notify gas safe any way , most or all of the installation industry were conned by corgi , said it was all to do with safety ect ! ;) :)

The certificate you are on about is issued via gas safe.

Basically ring up gas safe and ask them "Have they been notified
of any gas/boiler install at my property".
If they haven't the installer hasn't done what they said they would.
The installer has to pay a £2.50 fee and register the work via gas safe.

Same thing is happening to me now, have lost my certificate, can't remember having one actually but my solicitor said not to worry, not a problem as can have indemnity insurance for £70 that covers it.

That sounds like a solicitor who is getting fat commission from the indemnity fee.

Better to have it tested and a new certificate I would say.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back