Person on Gas Safe Certificate isn't who installed our boiler

You should pay for the materials at least. The rest is up to you.
Whatever happens you still have the materials.
Contact gas safe!

Sponsored Links
Gas Safe don't make it easy for consumers to check that a Gas Installer has the correct qualification, even if the consumer can be bothered to look.

If an engineer doesn't have a particular qualification then that qualification is hidden on the Gas Safe web site when you check the engineers details. As most consumers won't know what qualifications they are looking for and nothing appears with an X next to it, the consumer can't find out with certainty that a qualification is missing. Combine that with all the abbreviations on the Gas Safe web site and consumers stand little chance.

For example the engineer who installed and services my boiler has a tick next to "Central Heating DOM NG" but there is nothing shown at all for "Fires/Space Heaters DOM NG". I guess that this means he is not qualified to service my gas fire but I have had to do some research to discover that a "Fires/Space Heaters DOM NG" qualification exists. If I just look at the Gas Safe sticker on his van I might reasonably conclude that he is qualified to work on any gas installation or appliance.

They can't have an LPG tick next to "Gas Boiler: Central Heating DOM NG" as the NG is for Natural Gas. They should have an LPG tick next to "Gas Boiler: Central Heating DOM LPG"
"Central Heating DOM LPG" isn't an option. It's a confusing list with two columns (NG and LPG) of ticks or crosses.

If you have a look you'll see what I mean.

You should pay for the materials at least. The rest is up to you.
Whatever happens you still have the materials.
Contact gas safe!
Their invoice wasn't broken down into materials and labour, so I don't have any way of determining the individual costs.

I'll be contacting Gas Safe tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
If you found the engineer on the "Find and Check" box on the gas safe page.

Click on view services - then a list is produced - ignore the building regulations section - scroll down to the combustion/cooker/boiler/fire/pipework/meters/heaters - especially combustion and boilers in your case, if it doesn't have a tick in the right column under LPG, they aren't qualified for LPG

"Central Heating DOM LPG" isn't an option. It's a confusing list with two columns (NG and LPG) of ticks or crosses.

If you have a look you'll see what I mean.

I would imagine it would look like this if an engineer was LPG qualified:

1668939743300.png

Last edited:
But if they are not LPG qualified or Gas Fire qualified it actually looks like this:
1668939536925.png

It is easy to see which qualifications they do have. Not so easy to spot the qualifications they should have but don't have. How does your average consumer know that gas fires require a separate qualification when they look at the above page which doesn't mention them at all. The gas boiler does have an X in the black header for LPG.

But if they are not LPG qualified or Gas Fire qualified it actually looks like this:
View attachment 286170
It is easy to see which qualifications they do have. Not so easy to spot the qualifications they should have but don't have. How does your average consumer know that gas fires require a separate qualification when they look at the above page which doesn't mention them at all. The gas boiler does have an X in the black header for LPG.
This is exactly how it looks - no qualifications for LPG.

The company are saying that John Smith (the chap on the cert.) came to commission the boiler. I wasn't home on the second day so this is possible. But neither him nor the person who installed it show as being gas safe for LPG.

I'll be contacting Gas Safe tomorrow to see where I stand and what steps I should take to ensure the boiler is safe.

Deeply confusing site. So this person should not have installed or checked/commissioned an LPG boiler?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-20 at 13.42.56.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-20 at 13.42.56.png
    248.2 KB · Views: 86
Deeply confusing site. So this person should not have installed or checked/commissioned an LPG boiler?

Is that screenshot from the company's entry on the register, or the individual engineer's entry?

EDIT: I've only looked at a few, but those fields look like the ones I've seen on the company entries.

Last edited:
Is that screenshot from the company's entry on the register, or the individual engineer's entry?
That's the guy who apparently commissioned the boiler. The engineer's page is exactly the same, as is the company's page and the owner of the company's page.

No-one involved appears to have any qualifications to work with LPG other than within the "Building Regulations" section.

That's the guy who apparently commissioned the boiler

I've only looked at a few firms and engineers, but those fields in your screenshot look like the ones I've seen on the company entries. For example, the firms seem to say "Combustion performance gas analysis" and "Domestic Cookers/hobs" like your screenshot, whilst the engineers seem to say "Comb Analysis" and "Cooker". But I've only looked at a few. It's very confusing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back