Landlord Certificate (also a bit of LPG)

C

cantaloup63

I've been very fortunate using some tradespeople from this site for some work. We have a BG contract for boiler repairs and an annual landlords certificate, although this doesn't include certification for the gas hobs for some reason. We did have someone who replaced the hobs last year to include automatic ignition cut-outs as well as checking the LPG hob that one kitchen has in the HMO property.

So, what we now need is an RGI or Gassafe'd person who also has a cert for LPG to go and do a landlord's check for us. There will be some other bits and bobs to do in due course, but for the time being this will be an annual task. So if you work in West London (Chiswick) and are interested in the job, then let me know on the boards or by pm. If you wish for confirmation from others as to how genuine this is, I'll ask them if I can name them as a reference.

Sponsored Links
:idea: Would be more attractive to ditch BG, so you could offer both the N.G Central heating and the LPG Appliances - to a more qualified independant Service Engineer - not many engineers will be interested in just doing a check on a single LPG hob!! ;)

Makes sense. The only thing that keeps us with BG is the guarantee of replacement of boiler parts (and "free repeated call outs if necessary) as an embedded cost. How about a compromise of knocking BG landlor cer on the head and ask on here for a whole house Cert, together with the two main gas and the lpg hob. Am I getting anywhere close to a possible deal for anyone - I know it's a tiny task in comparison. But the boiler is about 5 years old and will most likely need replacing in the not too distant future anyway, and loyalty cuts two ways ;)

Sponsored Links
Er, why not just get BG to do the LPG hob(s) too? :confused:

Its an obvious question but the answer is not apparent!

If you have NG at the property for the boiler then why do you have an LPG hob?

If the boiler is only five years old then ( if its not an Ideal ) then it should last at least 10-12 years!

Tony

So, do any of you want the job? :confused: As previosuly stated, BG repair and replace for the boiler seems a good deal, coupled with the speed of the callout time to get the boiler going again since the house is an HMO with 9 people living in it.

The landlord's certificate together with other possible tasks is what is up for grabs. One of the hobs is LPG due to the difficulty of running a pipe to it. We would happily use the RGI fella who installed the upgraded hobs last year, but he has decided not to bother any more with his LPG ticket due to the limited demand for it in London. Thus we are seeking for someone else.

Having used an independent, cost effectiveness comes into play, and BG priced themselves right out of the market on this one.

Excuse my ignorance but what are BG asking to add an LPG hob to the ticket?

An independent will usually be more cost effective but I can understand why you feel more comfortable with BG if you are in Manch and have this property in London.

Its difficult for me to imagine a property where you really cannot take a gas supply to the hob.

Regardless, all you need is to be prepared to pay the increased cost of getting an LPG registered RGI to attend. A typical London CP12 if perhaps £65-£85 so expect to perhaps to pay a little more if you need to persuade an LPG reg from perhaps Slough or somewhere where LPG is more common.

Tony

Excuse my ignorance but what are BG asking to add an LPG hob to the ticket?
The current arrangement is for the boiler and an at-the-meter test as far as I can make out. They wanted (this was a year ago, so may have changed) and extra £30 per hob - thus £60 for the two mains and an additional £30 for the LPG. The independent wanted a lot less than this, and we topped up his day rate by giving him other jobs including the replacement of the hobs to ones with automatic cut-off/failsafe thingies as well as replacing a flexible bayonet connector with copper, which had been used by whoever installed a hob incorrectly some time ago (the kitchen in question used to have a freestanding hob/oven which was replaced but obviously the fitter failed to replace the relevant pipework :unsure: )

I am not sure that I fully understand but if the extra cost is just £30 then let BG do it. RGIs do have to make a living and houses start at about £400k in London!

Even if it were £120 then its still easier to let BG do it.

Tony

I am not sure that I fully understand but if the extra cost is just £30 then let BG do it. RGIs do have to make a living and houses start at about £400k in London!

Even if it were £120 then its still easier to let BG do it.

Tony
You're probably right. But am I so wrong in trying to put a bit of independent work someone's way on here? Honestly, you try to do a favour and give a bit of easy work for a pro for an hour or so labour on their way home from a bigger job somewhere... :rolleyes: :LOL: :LOL:

I think that you are putting a Manch view on a London situation.

Here an RGI does not want to get home an hour later for an extra £25 or whatever you imagine you should be paying.

I charge £65 for a CP12 and its more if there is a back boiler or a gas fire. Even that is cheaper than many but also more then some of the cheapest.

The difference is that I try to do the checks properly and diligently and not just fill in the form like the cheapo ones. But most landlords just want the form and DONT want the job done properly! I am not reg for LPG and very few here would be.

Tony

I think that you are putting a Manch view on a London situation.

Here an RGI does not want to get home an hour later for an extra £25 or whatever you imagine you should be paying.

I charge £65 for a CP12 and its more if there is a back boiler or a gas fire. Even that is cheaper than many but also more then some of the cheapest.

The difference is that I try to do the checks properly and diligently and not just fill in the form like the cheapo ones. But most landlords just want the form and DONT want the job done properly! I am not reg for LPG and very few here would be.

Tony
You're missing the point. I want the job done properly and am willing to pay accordingly. All I'm doing is throwing the contract open to anyone on here who is willing to do it, ideally undercutitng BG by even a pound (in the interest of competition). If someone is willing to take on the deal regarding the boiler and offer the same level of free part replacement and 24 hour callout lead time that BG does, then I'd be happy to pay for that too.

As for the Manch view - Im afraid you're wrong. The house is and always has been in London, I am a Londoner, and we have aways used locals to complete tasks, happily paying London rates, to Londoners.

It seems pretty self evident that not many on here are LPG. But it seemed a quick way of finding out instead of trawling through the yellow pages.

Unfortunately, BG have such huge purchasing power that they can buy spares at a fraction of the price independents have to pay. That makes it very difficult for any to match the insurance like cover. They also have a big clout to refuse any repairs where they can say its caused by dirt in the system. Most independents would try to do something.

Your expectation of a 24 hr response by BG sounds rather hopeful. I met an 80 y.o. lady waiting in the hallway of her block "because she did not want to miss BG when they came" and it was the THIRD day she had been waiting for them in freezing weather!

I am still unclear what you expect to pay for the CP12 including the LPG hob? Stating the figure might entice some RGI out of the woodwork!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back