Upstairs lighting in thatch roof, landlord certificate.

Many years ago I assisted with a thatched cottage full rewire, although calling it a cottage seems far too understated.

We had to work to a spec from the insurance company which was basically:
All wiring throughout the property had to be in threaded steel conduit or Kopex, the older type with corrugated metal lining, paper and PVC sheath.

Minimum conductor sizes for the MCB rating - essentially meaning wiring was 2 sizes bigger than regs/calculations.

No fuses in CU or lofts.

No junctions in lofts.

No downlighters (before the days of LED).

Firestopping holes.

I'm sure I've missed some.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I am slightly minded to see how we can remove *all* wiring from the loft space: maybe wall lights (linked to sockets in the rooms...)
That said, we will be led by our sparky when we meet up in a couple of months.

We will have to see!
Thanks for your thoughts (y)

I'm not an electrician but was wondering if pyro, (MICC), could be more cost effective than SWA?
Use T&E into seald joint box just before it enters the loft, they pyro from the loft to the various service points?

Wouldn't the more modern flame resistant cable (FP name) more cheaply satisfy that need. It's now commonly used for fire alarm systems.

Sponsored Links
Steel conduit with inspection boxes and pot boxes may be an option, if it's only three lights.

Are you considering a mains smoke detector system while you are at it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back