Boiler choice for open vented system - Glowworm 18 hxi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Too much to choose from...???

Looking to replace my old boiler (Rest is upto date)

Anyone have experience with Glowworm 18 hxi ? Had good review from Which and Buyability.....

Also been recommended Worchester 18RI and Vaillant ecoTEC plus 418.

Help please... :D

Sponsored Links
Personally I would go for a system boiler over a vented one anyday.

Out of the 3 you list, I would put Vaillant first and Glow Worm second, but there is really not much difference apart from the electronics and diagnostic side.

Worcester, as always with me personally, would be bottom of my list.

Best to use a Remeha Avantaplus boiler with integral weather compensation. http://www.avantaplus.co.uk The have the Broag 18V open vented boiler. 5 year guarantee. Better than Vaillant and W-Bosch

This is a dual temperature boiler (not many of these around) and is well priced. The Avantaplus boilers have a very good control systems with integrated weather compensation. Better than Vaillant and W-Bosch. The Avantaplus is easily configurable.

Have a priority 3-way "diverting" vale on the boiler flow - wired into the boilers control. The boiler control system has the ability to take a DHW signal from a cylinder stat, open the 3-way valve, and ramp up to full temp for fast DHW re-heat sending all the boilers heat to the cylinder. When satisfied the valve reverts to CH and to variable temperature (mainly low temp) very economical weather compensation. So get the outside senor. The comfort conditions are much superior too.

Very well priced:
http://www.centurionhbs.co.uk/shop/productlist.asp?sectID=401&catID=403&parentID=

Look at the control and system setups:
http://www.avantaplus.com/docs/Avanta Plus-112952-0906.pdf

Best to use a Remeha Avantaplus boiler with integral weather compensation. http://www.avantaplus.co.uk The have the Broag 18V open vented boiler. 5 year guarantee. Better than Vaillant and W-Bosch

This is a dual temperature boiler (not many of these around) and is well priced. The Avantaplus boilers have a very good control systems with integrated weather compensation. Better than Vaillant and W-Bosch. The Avantaplus is easily configurable.

Have a priority 3-way "diverting" vale on the boiler flow - wired into the boilers control. The boiler control system has the ability to take a DHW signal from a cylinder stat, open the 3-way valve, and ramp up to full temp for fast DHW re-heat sending all the boilers heat to the cylinder. When satisfied the valve reverts to CH and to variable temperature (mainly low temp) very economical weather compensation. So get the outside senor. The comfort conditions are much superior too.

Very well priced:
http://www.centurionhbs.co.uk/shop/productlist.asp?sectID=401&catID=403&parentID=

Look at the control and system setups:
http://www.avantaplus.com/docs/Avanta Plus-112952-0906.pdf[/QUOTE]

I am sure the Vaillant can do the same, the brochure states:

"Aquacondense recharges the cylinder at the most economical temperature"

Instead of a cylinder stat you have a NTC sensor on the unistor cylinder.

Sponsored Links
If its a straight swap your going for then the ultracom hxi is a very good choice. Vaillants offer the same options as the Broag, but are better quality boilers with much better backup from a network of engineers. Big Burner is a salesman and constantly uses free advertising on this site which is against forum rules, unfortunately the mods haven't picked this up, they only act when Dr Drivel goes crying to them.

Thank you for the information.

I have steered away from a pressurized system due to the significant amount of older under floor copper pipes.

I appreciate a hot water on demand system would be more efficent but the hot water demand is high with 5 of us...bathroom, pumped shower, washing machine etc. My aim ultimately is to go over to a mains pressure hotwater tank system.

At this stage, I need a good replacement for the current Ideal Mexico 2 RS60 which is inefficient (65%) and some Gas engineer at some point has fitted 'not quite' the correct part...!!!!

If its a straight swap your going for then the ultracom hxi is a very good choice. Vaillants offer the same options as the Broag, but are better quality boilers

Nonsense! You must be on commission.

Thank you for the information.

I have steered away from a pressurized system due to the significant amount of older under floor copper pipes.

I appreciate a hot water on demand system would be more efficent but the hot water demand is high with 5 of us...bathroom, pumped shower, washing machine etc.

Look at a Worcester Bosch 550 floor mounted combi. Just under £2K all inclusive. It will do what you need

Look at a Worcester Bosch 550 floor mounted combi. Just under £2K all inclusive. It will do what you need

and every other post you make says how bad worcesters are :rolleyes: .

though personaly im happy witht the wb range

i had one in my flat, and installed a new system with a greenstar 35 cdi in the current house. coupled with a 22mm cold mains to toe boiler i have fantasic water pressure in the shower. with no noticeable loss when one other demand on the mains is required.

wb ftw

One thing I found out today is the valliant 4 series and the glowworm HXI are pretty much the same boiler, just different display and front cover.

does this sound like a good idea:
I am going to fork out a lot of money for an inferior product because I suspect that the bit it is going to be connected to is about to fall apart.
Be that as it may, I am not going to pay someone to solve a problem that I am aware of.
I am just going to wait until the pipes start leaking and then complain that plumbers don't know what they are doing.

One thing I found out today is the valliant 4 series and the glowworm HXI are pretty much the same boiler, just different display and front cover.

indeed you are right. One other important difference is the flue outlet. On the glowworm its off centre, and the vaillant its centre. The Vaillant comes in handy if you want to replace your existing boiler in the same location.

Engineers do the thinking and the fitters fit to what he says.

Another Dr Drivel quotation :rolleyes:

Then the engineer with no real world practical knowledge blames the experienced fitters for cocking up when it is really his 'theoretical' design that is carp :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back