Boiler Circuit Boards - high cost of failures

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm appalled by the number of times I hear of boiler PCBs needing replacement. There is a well-known list of 'usual suspects'.

When did you last have to replace the mother board of a personal computer? A zillion types more complex than a boiler PCB which fails n times more frequently!

I believe there a four main reasons for the problem:

High replacement cost: boiler manufacturers sell replacement boards for a lot of money compared with a PC motherboard and there's no way the original cost of manufacture of the board is more than a small fraction of the selling price.

Quality of design and manufacture: if the boards never failed there'd be no problem. But the design of board and enclosure (especially to keep water out!) is sometimes extremely poor. The environment inside a boiler is unfriendly to say the least - but there's no excuse for bad designs that fail to take this into account.

No repair service: Boiler manufacturers do not (and do not want to) repair boards. In most cases, they do not make them in the first place and could not repair them, anyway. There are few third parties able to make a decent business out of repairs. First they cannot charge enough for repaired boards and second, they are harassed by manufacturers using claims of design theft, safety problems and other means to keep them out of the market. OK - it's sort-of understandable that the boiler manufacturers want to keep on selling new boards. But given the Cost and Quality issues, they don't deserve the profits!

Mistaken identity: Because a board is usually easy to change and profitable, it is not unknown for a repairer to change a trivial sensor AND the PCB to fix a sensor fault!

Another issue is the EU Waste Electronic Equipment Directive. Presumably this applies to boiler electronics along with everything else. Boiler manufacturers will therefore be coerced into reducing the level of 'waste'.

This is not an attack on the manufacturers. They're in business to make a profit.

But customers have the power to change things if they want. If I had a pound for each time I said myself 'I'll NEVER buy another widget made by X' I'd be a lot richer! For example, I have an Electrolux dishwasher which is fine after 8 or so years apart from the STUPID plastic wheels on the crockery trays which break up / fall off and cost 2 pounds EACH to replace!!! Yup - as far as I'm concerned, Electrolux is history! But they don't know that and wouldn't care anyway.

As a start, I suggest that there should be a 'lemon list' on this site, including all the stupid things suppliers make and do, but WITH the opportunity for them to respond, to say how they've made things better. The webmaster could automatically email the list to all the supplier quality and customer service managers every month. At least it would make the job of Watchdog researchers much easier!

Sponsored Links
Couldn't agree more...........see my post april sometime regarding my boiler. A more poorly designed and Q.C'd piece of electronic gear I have yet to see!!!!

a lot of the pcb's i've replaced are on boilers fitted with 13a fuses, if I can't see another obvious reason why it has failed I usually tell the customer that it COULD be the reason why it has failed. I'd like to name and shame all boiler manufacturers who design fold down electronic control panels that fold down underneath water components that may need replacing (boilers never drain completely dry before you start)

Here is an example of very poor design on the current boiler I have.

The EBM Papst blower control board which is mounted on the motor it controls is in a hostile environment. This PCB could easily have been placed in the more isolated electronics compartment where the main controller is.

Where it is now exposes it to (a) More temperature extremes (b) Condensate water shower if the concentric vent lines directly above it lose their seal (c) Corrosive atmosphere from (b) and other gas/fluid leaks.

Why is the industry accepting this kind of bad design?????

Sponsored Links
Because the customer refuses to pay for the quality product that used to be made.

A phrase I have learned recently - The cost of everything and the value of nothing.

Or the version I used previously - Champagne Ideas, Beer Money.

It does however vary greatly. Rinnai is a product you have over there and the PCB's are bullet proof.

110% Agreed. The design of these so-called 'PCB's is shockingly rubbish.

I do not even see conformal coating applied, which would go some way to protecting them.

Because the customer refuses to pay for the quality product that used to be made. <snip>
Maybe, but the cost of actually MAKING these control boards as they are produced now I cannot see why they would cost anything more than approximatly £10 to make. Hell, if Tesco's et al can SELL (not make) DVD players for £20, go figure. So, even if the price of these control boards were to increase by 50% then added cost of a 'quality product' would be of the order of £5.

Yes, I'm cooking up figures from free air, but ball-park wise I'd be close!

Andy

I think it's a consequence of making products cheap, as that is what consumers want, but then having to mark up spares to make a profit.

It happens in many industries - my washing machine needed a new motor, a 10 minute fix. A new motor was £155, a new machine £175. I wrote to Beko and tbey just said it was nothing to do with them, and that I should contact their approved spares retailer.

The car industry is the same - modern cars are relatively cheap and reliable, so the cost of spares is higher to maintain profits.

It's very difficult to make a change - be willing to pay more for long term quality goes against human nature!

The only one that really annoys me is the glowworm cxi / hxi which often fail merely from isolating the power supply, very difficult conversation to have with a customer on a service if you forget to prewarn them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back