Boiler condensate drain into communal garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, some advice needed please.

We live in a flat with a communal garden. The blocks are slightly staggered, so the windows of half the block overlook the garden next door (if that makes sense). What that means is that I have two flats who don't use our garden, but do this to it:

Flat 1) is first floor, and from the kitchen there seems to be a condensate drain for a boiler. This is in the form of 10 feet of 20mm plastic piping leading into their main kitchen stack. The sections of this are no longer joined (wind?) so potentially anything coming from it drops into our garden.

Flat 2) ground floor, same position. Their kitchen has a section of 15mm copper pipe porotruding from the wall next to their main waste pipe, but its open ended and allows its trickle of rust coloured water to run into a drain a foot or so away.

I need to call the factor, since the area under their windows isn't draining properly and is holding a strange grey coloured water. Are thoese flats obliged to ensure that their boilers drain appropriately, and not into our garden? Why would the water be greyish - something being emitted?

Unforyunately, since they are in the next-door block I have no idea who they are to ask them to do the right thing. They share the same factor though. Can they force them to meet any regs that are currently being broken??

Summer will be approaching and I want my kids to be able to enjoy the back garden!

Sponsored Links
I don't know a thing abut Scottish law, so I can only comment on the pipes. The 15mm copper pipe is likely to be from the pressure releif valve on thier boiler (rather than a conensate pipe). If all is well, nothing should emit from this, so they have some sort ofproblem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back