Boiler condensate leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I'm currently having a bit of a nightmare with my boiler and I'm hopeful someone might be able to advise. I should warn that I know next to nothing about boilers (although I seem to have picked a fair bit up over the last month :mad: )

I have a Glow Worm Flexicom 24CX which was installed just over 4 years ago. Run fine with no problems since installation - serviced yearly etc.

It developed a leak about a month ago which was confirmed as a crack in the heat exchanger. This was replaced by a Gas Safe engineer. Since that happened, it now leaks intermittently from the bottom right hand side - water comes dribbling down the outside of one of the pipes. This only happens when the heating has been running for 15-20mins or more.

Called the engineer back and he advised it was the condensate (hence, not leaking all the time/losing pressure as it was when the heat exchanger was faulty). He "re-made the join" and went away, but the problem recurred. Since then, he's had another look and discovered a rubber seal was missing from the bottom of the condensate tray (think that's what it's called). He's ordered and fitted it and gone and...yep, it's still leaking from the same place whenever the heating runs for a good while.

Before I call the engineer back - when he fitted the heat exchanger he also serviced and "tuned" the boiler. As a result of this, he set the pressure to 2.0. Now, it's always been around the 1.0 mark before as that's what it says it should be in the manual & on the front of the boiler itself, and that's what I was advised when it was installed. As a result, when the heating has been on for a good while (ie when the leaking starts), the pressure can be as high as 2.8.

My question is, could this be causing the problem? Like I said, I know nothing about boilers and the engineer seems certain that it isn't an issue, but I'm just not sure. Could the higher pressure be producing more condensation and causing the leak?

Thanks for reading this far (if anyone has). I have searched about online and in this forum, but I haven't been able to find anything that specifically states whether high pressure can cause a condensate leak. Apologies if I've missed anything obvious

Sponsored Links
Cheers for that mate. :LOL:

Been away for a few days so I haven't done anything about this yet. I'm quite tempted to get him back to put it right, as it's only been dripping condensate since he worked on it.

Can anyone clarify whether the pressure is likely to cause a condensate leak? Pressure goes up to 2.8 or 2.9 now with the heating on for longer periods - this has got to produce more condensation & so be a possible cause of the leak hasn't it?

System pressure and condensate leak separate issues.

Condensate leak needs fixing and is merely annoying.

System pressure rising to 2.8 bar when boiler runs indicates expansion vessel issue. Normally set to 1bar cold, should rise to no more than 1.2 bar hot. More in FAQs.

If you're under contract get the guy back to fix both.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back