Heat Exchanger leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My combi has been loosing pressure.
The Engineer filled the system to 2.5 bar and then isolated the boiler from the rest of the system. He connected the condensation outlet to a rubber tube and fed it into a bucket. Over 5 hours the boiler lost pressure and water appeared in the bucket. The engineer said this meant the heat exchanger was leaking. Could the water in the bucket have been delayed condensation or is it definately a leak?
At this point the pressure was 2.1. The Engineer reopened the 2 valves and the pressure dropped a little more. Does this mean there is also a leak on the radiators/pipe work. The engineer was not sure, but since the pressure in the system was 2.5 then I thought the pressure should have gone up once the valves were re-opened. Could the second pressure drop be explained by the cooling water (the system had been running prior to him turning it off) over the 5 hour period.

I must point out that the system is under contract so the heat exchanger is being replaced at no cost. I am concerned however that the pipework is leaking (we have checked all the raditors) under the ground level floor boards which are covered by laminate flooring. Removing the laminate would be a nightmare. If it was upstairs I think i would have noticed staining on the ceiling.

Thanks for your input

Sponsored Links
a small leak in the system can often be cured by putting a tube of leak seal in. but check with the manufacturer first as a few don't like it in their boilers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back