Boiler heat exchanger leaking - how urgent?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm helping someone sort out problems with their boiler. Basically

1) Losing pressure in a day or two.
2) Engineer, based on what he found in condensate trap, diagnosed leak in the heat exchanger

That seems right, no argument with the diagnosis. My question is:

How urgent a problem is this? The system runs fine at low pressure and is easy to top up. The condensate trap is feeding directly into a drainpipe (Loft installation) and isn't causing any issues. Any idea on whether or not this is a problem that might worsen, cause some kind of leak from the boiler, cause damage elsewhere? As far as I can figure out it's been happening for a year, so it's currently stable at least.

While technically still in warranty period (installed 6 years ago) the boiler has unfortunately not been serviced for years, so we'll ask for a repair under warranty but not hopeful. On the assumption we don't get any joy there, it's liable to go unrepaired for financial reasons and as it's 'working fine at the moment'. I'm trying to figure out if there are any pitfalls to this.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'm helping someone sort out problems with their boiler. Basically

1) Losing pressure in a day or two.
2) Engineer, based on what he found in condensate trap, diagnosed leak in the heat exchanger

That seems right, no argument with the diagnosis. My question is:

How urgent a problem is this? The system runs fine at low pressure and is easy to top up. The condensate trap is feeding directly into a drainpipe (Loft installation) and isn't causing any issues. Any idea on whether or not this is a problem that might worsen, cause some kind of leak from the boiler, cause damage elsewhere? As far as I can figure out it's been happening for a year, so it's currently stable at least.

While technically still in warranty period (installed 6 years ago) the boiler has unfortunately not been serviced for years, so we'll ask for a repair under warranty but not hopeful. On the assumption we don't get any joy there, it's liable to go unrepaired for financial reasons and as it's 'working fine at the moment'. I'm trying to figure out if there are any pitfalls to this.

Thanks.
Yes,it will get worse,,,either pack up working or bring the ceiling down.

Not to mention the radiators corroding from the inside because of all the new water being introduced.

That's something I hadn't thought of. Anyway, Worcester Bosch fixed-price repair booked for tomorrow - the £275 charge was much less than anticipated.

What else do I need to think of? Inhibitor? Flush?

Sponsored Links
Flush with something like X400 if the water is black, and add inhibitor once the system's refilled.

Water's not black when bleeding radiators. There's a magnetic filter on the system which wasn't unusually clogged up, for what that's worth.

If all the rads are working properly, you should be ok with just a change of water and inhibitor then.

Rads are working fantastically, when the pressure's up. Will add some inhibitor via the Magnaclean filter. Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back