Boiler condensate trap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been reading up on waste water pipe regs, as about to install a new bathroom and it got me thinking.

At my girlfriends parents house the condensate pipe from their boiler exits the house in 21.5mm pipe and then runs down the side in 32mm black waste pipe into the soil stack. However there is no trap? Is there a trap in the boiler to stop foul smells entering the house?

If a trap is required on the 32mm pipe can anyone recommend one that is fairly pleasing to the eye as it will be on the outside wall in view.

Sponsored Links
would be very unlikely for a boiler not to have a trap built in, the trap on a boiler is used for a different reason than a normal sink trap, the trap in the boiler creates a water barrier to stop products of combustion from leaving the appliance via the waste pipe

Even if there is no trap in the boiler ( some dont ) the combustion parts of the boiler are totally sealed and only open to the atmosphere through the flue.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I'd be more worried about the pipe diameter... If as you say it passes through the wall in 21.5mm overflow pipe, then there is a real risk of it freezing inside the wall if we have another chilly one like we did last Winter... It should run through the wall as 32 and reduce to 21.5 inside.

cheers for all the replys. Good to hear I dont need to put one in.

Corgigrouch. Intresting what u say about it not going through the outside wall in 21.5 pipe then stepping up to 32mm outside as have been looking at everyones house (at least 10) I have been to recently to see how their condensate runs have been done and every one stepped up to 32mm outside. I totaly see what u mean as i had a friend last year that had his freeze but his was rin in 22m all the way (2m outside) :confused:

Does everyone else on here step up to 32mm inside???

I have just had a look online at the installation manual for their boiler. The boiler does have an internal trap. However, it also state that if the drain is terminating into a soil stack a 75mm trap should be added.

Are you sure this is not the case for all boilers?

I think i am just going to leave it as it is as they havent had any bad smells coming in and if i put a trap on the outside wall that is sure to freez in winter.

If you were to add a trap at the soil stack end would the slow release of the condensate be enough to over come to trap into the soil stack? I have a Worcester Bosch and the amount the boiler releases is very small or would it back fill to the point where its own pressure in the pipe is enough to drain once it reaches a certain heigh? With that in mind you would need to ensure the pipe is very water tight as it would then leak condensate causing more issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back