Boiler Constantly Firing Up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved into a new house that has a Potterton Boiler, BoilerMate storage and timer for the heating (there is no timer for the hot water)

The problem I have is every few minutes even with the heating off the boiler will fire up for 30 secs and then switch off.

I have had the boiler professionally checked out by Potterton and it is all fine. The Engineer says that the BoilerMate is probably calling for heat every few minutes but didn't know that system as he didn't supply the BoilerMate.

Does anyone know if it is normal for the BoilerMate to call for heat this often? The instrictions suggest otherwise.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Boilermates are pain in the a***. Which model is it? If it is one of the round cylinder types then it is old and there is no thermostat on the boilermate to cut boiler out. This basic thermal store system will always keep the boiler on to keep the thermal store hot. This is how you get your hot water and heating. Unlike a 'normal' cylinder the tank stores the mass of hot water and your cold mains (hot tap draw off) passes through the coil and gets heated up. You therefore get mains pressure hot water performance without having to comply with G3 regs.

if you have one of the new boilermate 2000 series then priciple is the same but they have a stat on the storage tank to turn off boiler when store hot enough.

there are stats on the front of the bm2 and bm3 to control store temp. i would start with that because it sounds like the boiler is always under demand for heat. dont get much trouble with the stats on these....cant say ive ever changed one and i see loads of boilermates.

there is something wrong if it starts up every few minutes though....thats excessive. with the heating off and no hot water demand i would expect the boiler firing every few hours at the most to top up the store temp.

you may have to find someone who can fix them properly to look at it.......that might be difficult because evryone seems to run away from them when they arent really that bad if looked after reasonably well.

if its a bm2000 then the thermistors on these are quite prone to failure and could cause your problem.

Sponsored Links
ok forget everything that has been said so far.

how old is your unit?

The house is a new build, so the unit is probably only a few months old and should be under warrenty.

I'd just like to find out how it is meant to work before I go back to the builders and complain. Or if there is a user adjustment that I can do that would be great.

I have new build myself with this set up. The way the new Gledhill work now is like a thermal store with a combi (secondary) heat exchanger in the front for the hot water. This Gledhill will have a specific NTC to control the boiler constant firing. Perhaps this has gone down? Gledhill will not help you, they will only speak to installer :mad:

Watch out for hot water problems. Water will keep going hot, warm,cold, hot,warm,cold. Very common problem with these it is usually the hot water sensors need replacing after 2/3 months.

Tried to get my builder not to install it with the c*** potterton boiler but would not listen to me :evil:

gas is right the thermisters go away like something that goes away ALOT

I have changed the DHW and Primary Thermisters on four Boilermates this week alone

bloody horrid things

gas4you said:
Tried to get my builder not to install it with the c*** potterton boiler but would not listen to me

From 130 post earlier
gas4you said:
realise all Man's have problem boilers but these 130's

So it's not just the 130s,

Can we drop the name slagging?

I just work for them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back