boiler cuts out shortly after firing up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon. Any help, please?
trying all day to resolve this (and work from home)
so, I have Glow Worm condenser boiler
starts up, heats up, makes a few heavy clunking, knocking noises, then stops.
no error codes.
UPstairs U0staires next to th Boiler

Sponsored Links
... sorry, got cut off there...
in addition to this description, upstairs is where the hot water tank sits in a cupboard. I have a Grundfos pump UPS 3, which installed about 2 years ago. I am pretty sure it is working but it is now making a whooshing/whirring noise whilst on. Not very loud just it normally runs silently and continuously. So I thought 'Air-lock!' and have made an attempt to resolve that - no luck. I have been in the loft and checked both tanks. Both tanks have water. Header Tank has filthy, rust coloured, cloudy water in it. Both tanks have ball cocks that work. I have bled all the radiators - no luck. i have stood and stared at the boiler for a while - no luck.
Interestingly, (for me) when I turn the system on to test it, the air release valve blows a gust (i tested this by holding a lit match above it -and it blew out!) then as the pump continues to pulsate, the air release valve sucks air.
So there you have it.
Anyone have any idea what I can to do to resolve this, before I freeze?

Sponsored Links
Show us pics of the pump and pipework to and from it,as well as the air release valve you refer to.
Although the F&E tank may have water in it ,the water may not be getting into the system/ pump due to a blocked feed.

IMG-20210212-WA0010.jpg

Pics are ok. To establish if water is getting from the f&e into the system ,drain water out of the system ,and see if the f&e water level drops ,ballcock opens and allows water into the f&e.
I assume if you select hot water ( no heating), the boiler does the same thing ,fires up and shuts down quickly ?

Yes. Boiler reacts same way HW or CH.
So, by drain the system you mean the entire CH system?
May have to do that in the morning.

No ,you don't need to drain the whole system to establish if the system is filling via the F&E, but you will need to drain a few litres.
If the tank isn't clean you should clean it out before draining as you don't want any crud to get into the pipework.

Can't see if the pump is on Speed1 or Speed3, IF speed3 far too high IMO at 6.4M, even speed1 at 4.2M may be a little on the high side, suggest PP2 (3.8M to 1.7M) or CP1 at a constant 3.0M. Also just ensure the pump arrow is pointing upwards.
1675841645041.png

thanks John.
Yep the pump arrow is pointing upwards. Been in place for about two years and not been a problem.
I have never been sure what the correct speed should be, so thanks for your advice. I will ensure it is as you suggest.

Hi terryplumb, i have drained a few litres from the system. The water level in the F&E tank has not moved. :(
I dread to think what this means.

Blocked feed from the F&E. Pumps running dry, no circulation and boiler cutting out because of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back