boiler cuts out shortly after firing up

Can you post a photo of the cold feed and vent pipes where they connect into the pump, probably the 2 pipes to the right of the pump in last photo, above,

Sponsored Links
excellent!
suggestions? fixable?
what might cause this?

Build up of magnetite in the pipework causing blockage. I assume you don't have a magnetic filter on your system?
Usual places are the first Tee,or elbow, on the cold Feed from F&E. Do you have a strong magnet by any chance ?
If so ,run it along the feed pipe, where it is attracted would be where the blockage is.

IMG_20210212_150746_528~2.jpg

Sponsored Links
This is an old photo,
For your reference the pump is not currently on and I plan to turn down the speed.
Right, I'm off to find a magnet

Yours may look like this, (your pump is pumping upwards so connection at bottom), after tying up the ballcock and syphoning out the water from the F&E tank, you can disconnect at the pump and maybe just poke a bit of wire through the blockage.

Attachments

• VCP Proper.jpg
    VCP Proper.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 27
Ok so I have used my magnet.
Not sticking to the feed pipe as far as I can tell.
But.
It is sticking to the pipe directly above, and leaving, the pump.
Also sticks to the horizontal pipe leading to the air release valve

Assuming you have a upstairs if you open a rad vent/bleed then are you still getting water from it?, I would bleed off another 2 or3 litres of water to see if the ballcock starts making up water into the F&E Tank.
Have you changed the pump speed?

Yes I do have an upstairs.
No water coming for the rads up here. I think a lot of water had left the system today.
Are you suggesting just bleed an individual rad?

No, if no water coming from any/all one of the upstairs rads then proof enough I would think of a complete blockage

Below your pump ,and to the right of it
,there appears to be 2 Tee's on the pipework show us a clearer pic of that and confirm that the magnet is not attracted to any of that section.

And the 2 vertical pipes in the last pic ,no magnet attracting to either of them ,all the way upwards ?
That horizontal pipe disappears towards the back ,away from the pump. How far does it go before it disappears ,and have you ran magnet along it ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back