boiler distance from gas meter,, help

Sponsored Links
Of course the pipework up to the tee has to be doubled in length for calculations as it is feeding two appliances.
The charts used for calculations give pipe size with 1mb drop, if the common pipework length is not doubled and pipesize is taken from the charts there will be a 1mb drop across this pipe to the tee. If each branch from the tee is then sized the same way this will again give a 1mb drop on this section, Result will be 2mb drop at each appliance

Sponsored Links
Not basing that (wrongly) on both using the

Have a look in the essential gas safety book.

Which page as it's a new one on me as well. Maximum 1 mbar pressure drop from the meter to the appliance. if we start reducing that for multiple appliance we'll be running 42mm because a property has a hob, oven, gas fire, tumble drier and boiler. I'd best look at repiping mine because I've only used 28 and I've got a 1/2 mbar drop between the meter and the boiler with 4 other appliances.

Not sure if you lot are having a laugh, don't know or don't care. :rolleyes:

28Kw = 2.6m³/h add a big hob say 0.8m³/h, and what have you got.

40m of 28mm will deliver 4³/h more than enough and some to spare.

thanks guys youve been a great help,i think il go with the 28mm size,

as im having a new kitchen fitted would it make a differance if i got an electric hob and kept the 22mm line for the 28kw boiler??

I think you have taken 28 kW as the total power contained in a gas supply rather than the input power to the boiler.

A Vaillant Ecotec needs 2.5 m³ per hour for 24 kW and 3.3 m³ for 31 kW !

Thats about 2.9 m³ for an extrapolated 28 kW equivalent.

Then there is the problem that the gas tables assume continuous lengths of tube and do not take into account soldered joints.

It gets worse if the tube is cut with a pipeslice as that produces a further discontinuity.

In any case, practical measurements often find a greater pressure loss than the tables imply!

About the last things I had from CORGI were three free pocket Gas Safety books! I must find out where I put them!

So far I am not convinced!

Tony

i have taken into account of the bends and allowed .5meter ,the total run is 37m with bends , the boiler is an ariston 28kw genuis, i dont know about in put power,would i still need to up grade the line if i just used the boiler on it?

Divide the total Kw by 10.7 for the gas rate in m³/h.

It ain't rocket science.

If the total length includes the bends, tees etc 28mm will be fine.

The mistake my colleagues are making is allowing the total load for the total calculated length.

The full load only applies up to the first branch off. :rolleyes:

Divide the total Kw by 10.7 for the gas rate in m³/h.

It ain't rocket science.

If the total length includes the bends, tees etc 28mm will be fine.

err calculated lengh ;)

s** the total lengh :rolleyes:

Ok calculated length :rolleyes:

28mm is still plenty, see my edit I added to my last post, but read calculated length and not total length.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back